You can be a digital nomad and live in Croatia paying just $600 a month in rent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even as we slowly work our way out of the pandemic and resume normal activities, there are certain behaviors that took hold in the last 18 months that won’t go away. Remote employment is one particular aspect of life during the pandemic that seems to have been become something that many workers enjoy and don’t want to see end.
For more TPG news delivered to your inbox each morning, sign up for our daily newsletter!
Croatia is making a push to attract those types of remote workers, entrepreneurs and work-from-anywhere professionals by building a village for digital nomads. The Digital Nomad Valley Zadar is located about 30 minutes from the ancient port city of Zadar, and it opens on Oct. 10 with a host of facilities designed to appeal to workers with a certain sense of wanderlust.
The Valley, as some call it, is curated for digital nomads interested in short- or long-term stays. It contains a variety of living spaces, from studio apartments to two- and three-bedroom apartments that can be rented for as little as two weeks, or as long as you want to stay. If you prefer a bit more isolation, there is also a campsite where you can rent space to park a camper.
A big part of the appeal of The Valley is its affordable rental prices. Prices start at $150 a week for a minimum two-week stay for a private bedroom inside a shared unit. That comes to $600 for four weeks, which is substantially less than the average monthly rent for apartments across most of Europe.
If you prefer more privacy or if you’re married, getting your own place could run as low as $287 per week, depending on the size of the apartment and length of stay. Prices include access to an exclusive co-working space, free Wi-Fi and access to events organized by the village.
Croatia embraced flexible work situations and remote workers early on in the pandemic as work-from-home became the norm. As workers across several industries realize the benefits of working remotely, Croatia is one of many countries looking to attract them, using flexibility as a hook. That’s why the Village offers a wide range of stay options. Whether you’re looking for a short-term change of scenery or looking for a place to spend extended time in, Zadar is an appealing option.
“Zadar is one of the most progressive cities in Croatia with many students and young people, so it’s a very good mixture of history and innovation,” Mario Mrksa, CEO of grabAhome, the company behind the Village, told Yahoo! Life. It’s also home to a bustling nightlife and restaurant scene.
The nickname “The Valley” was selected, Mrksa says, because it suggests entrepreneurship.
You can find more details about Croatia’s digital nomad village here.
In case you have not visited Croatia before, you can fly from Newark (EWR) and Philadelphia (PHL) to Dubrovnik (SPU) via Croatia Airlines with a connection to Zadar Airport (ZAD). You can also fly on other carriers, including Delta, United, Turkish Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Air France, Alitalia, KLM and Lufthansa.
Featured image courtesy of WorkremotelyCroatia.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees