These Are the World’s Best Airlines, According to TripAdvisor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, TripAdvisor announced the winners of its 2018 Travelers’ Choice awards for airlines, recognizing travelers’ favorite carriers around the world. This year, Singapore Airlines was named the number-one airline in the world and Southwest Airlines ranked as the best domestic carrier. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of airline reviews and ratings submitted by travelers worldwide over a one-year period on TripAdvisor flights. (Note: On the domestic front, TPG’s list of best and worst airlines yielded similar results.)
The 2018 award categories expanded to honor 69 airlines that provide exceptional value and service across the world in four categories: the top airlines in the world, the top airlines by geographic region, the top airlines by country, and the best airlines by class of service (first, business, premium economy, economy). Winners were based on airline reviews submitted from February 2017 to February 2018. Among the global top-10, Asian carriers prevailed with four airlines on the list (Singapore Airlines, Japan Airlines, EVA Air and Korean Air) followed by the Middle East with two airlines (Emirates and Qatar Airways).
TripAdvisor’s 2018 Top Airlines in the World:
According to TripAdvisor, these awards recognize airlines around the world that deliver consistently exceptional experiences to global travelers.
- Singapore Airlines, Singapore
- Air New Zealand, New Zealand
- Emirates, United Arab Emirates
- Japan Airlines, Japan
- EVA Air, Taiwan
- Southwest Airlines, United States
- Jet2.com, United Kingdom
- Qatar Airways, Qatar
- Azul, Brazil
- Korean Air, South Korea
TripAdvisor’s 2018 Top Airlines in North America:
Southwest Airlines, United States (Best)
Alaska Airlines, United States (Winner)
Delta Air Lines, United States (Winner)
Hawaiian Airlines, United States (Winner)
JetBlue, United States (Winner)
WestJet, Canada (Winner)
TripAdvisor’s 2018 Winners for Class of Service (Globally):
According to TripAdvisor, this award recognizes airlines around the world that provide a consistently exceptional passenger experience in each cabin.
Best First Class: Singapore Airlines, Singapore
Best Business Class: Qatar Airways, Qatar
Best Premium Economy: Air New Zealand, New Zealand
Best Economy: Singapore Airlines, Singapore
“We are honored to be this year’s recipient of the Best Airline in the World,” said Goh Choon Phong, CEO of Singapore Airlines. “The award is a validation of the hard work and dedication of our thousands of staff all around the world, who focus their attention every day on ensuring that Singapore Airlines remains competitive on a global level. Our business model is based around three main pillars: product leadership, service excellence and network connectivity. We are continuing to invest heavily in all three areas to ensure we have industry-leading offerings that meet and exceed our customers’ expectations, both on the ground and in the air.”
TripAdvisor’s 2018 Winners for Class of Service (North America):
Best Business Class: JetBlue, United States
Best Economy: Southwest Airlines, United States
Said Ryan Green, vice president and chief marketing officer for Southwest Airlines: “The real winners today are our more than 120 million customers who put their trust in Southwest to get them to where they need to be safely, on time and with the world-renowned hospitality our 60,000 Southwest employees provide.”
For the complete list of winners from the 2018 Travelers’ Choice awards for airlines, head over to TripAdvisor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees