Why the Citi Premier is now the best card for AA flyers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
AA has been a conspicuous omission on the transfer partner list of flexible points like Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou points, and Capital One miles. But through November 13, 2021, Citi ThankYou points transfer to American Airlines at a 1:1 ratio. That catapults cards like the Citi Premier® Card to the top of the list for American Airlines flyers.
Related: Citi Premier Card review
This news comes at the perfect time, as Citi has boosted the Citi Premier bonus to an all-time high of 80,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 within the first three months of account opening. Here’s what you need to know about this temporary transfer partnership.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Citi Premier is an American Airlines flyer’s sidekick (temporarily)
As counterintuitive as it sounds, cobranded airline credit cards are often not the best products to use with whichever airline logo graces their surface.
American Airlines offers six cobranded credit cards across two banks (Citi and Barclays), and none of them can hold a candle to the Citi Premier, in terms of sheer earning potential. The card earns 3x points in useful bonus categories and 1x points on everything else.
Because you can transfer Citi ThankYou points to American Airlines at a 1:1 ratio through November 13, 2021, you’re effectively earning 3 American Airlines miles per dollar in prevalent everyday categories. There’s no American Airlines card in existence that earns 3 miles per dollar on anything — even American Airlines flights! Here’s a look at what you’ll earn with the Citi Premier vs. other popular American Airlines credit cards. I’ve bolded the winner of each category.
|Spending categories||Citi Premier® Card||Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®||CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®||American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card|
|Welcome bonus||80,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases within four months of account opening||50,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening||65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 on purchases within four months of account opening||50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 within three months of account opening||10,000 bonus miles + $50 statement credit after spending $500 within three months of account opening|
|Air travel||3x||2x on eligible American Airlines purchases||2x on eligible American Airlines purchases||2x on eligible American Airlines purchases||2x on eligible American Airlines purchases|
|Supermarkets||3x||1x||1x||1x||2x at grocery stores|
The information for the Citi Business AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard have been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you’ve been in the miles and points world for a while, you likely already have had at least one American Airlines credit card. You keep it because it’s got one or two worthwhile ongoing benefits that offset the card’s annual fee. For example, The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® has a $450 annual fee, but comes with:
- Free checked bag for you and up to eight companions on the same reservation. If you check a bag when you travel, that’ll save you at least $60 roundtrip
- Admirals Club® airport lounge membership for you, with guest privileges (immediate family, otherwise up to two guests), worth up to $645 annually
Those benefits are nothing to sneeze at. Free checked bags are a significant boon for anyone traveling on American Airlines regularly. However, you would never swipe that card for everyday spending. The Citi Premier comes with a $95 annual fee and earns 300% the rate of the Citi AAdvantage Executive on most everyday purchases.
What can the Citi Premier Get you with American Airlines?
Let’s take a quick look at some real-life examples for how much money you’d have to spend on your card to accrue enough rewards for free flights on American Airlines compared to actual AA credit cards:
- Business class flight to Peru for 30,000 miles:
- $10,000 in bonused spending with the Citi Premier
- $15,000 in bonused spending with AA cards
- Economy flight to Europe for 22,500 miles (off-peak dates):
- $7,500 in bonused spending with the Citi Premier
- $11,250 in bonused spending with AA cards
- Domestic flight for 12,500 miles:
- $4,167 in bonused spending with the Citi Premier
- $6,250 in bonused spending with AA cards
Not only does the Citi Premier require you to spend significantly less to achieve a free flight, but you’ve also got much broader bonus categories to work with. Again, Citi ThankYou has scheduled this transfer partnership to end in mid-November, so this is certainly a short-term strategy at the moment. It is interesting to know that Citi has the means to add AA as a transfer partner, so perhaps this is a “pilot” of things to come. That would make Citi much more relevant in the travel credit cards market.
You’ve got until November 13, 2021, to transfer Citi ThankYou points to American Airlines. This temporary partnership makes the Citi Premier the best card for earning AA miles on everyday purchases.
If you’re thirsting for AA miles, the Citi Premier currently comes with a highest-ever 80,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. When you convert those points into AA miles, you’ll instantly have enough for several economy seats to nearly anywhere in the world! Read our post on how to maximize American Airlines miles to see what we mean.
Application link: Citi Premier Card with an 80,000-point sign-up bonus.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees