Watch Out, Atlanta Airport: Beijing Is Coming for You
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once again, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is the world’s busiest airport by passenger traffic, according to 2017 data released Thursday by Airports Council International. Atlanta has held the uncontested title since 1998 — but it may lose it soon, as air traffic growth keeps booming in China. Beijing is getting very close to the top spot.
Overall passenger traffic worldwide increased 7.5% to 8.3 billion in 2017 – one of the strongest growth rates in aviation history. Out of those 8.3 billion travelers, Atlanta International Airport personally accounted for just under 104 million – the only airport to break the 100-million mark. However, the airport saw a slight decrease in year-on-year passenger traffic, with a small drop of 0.3% from 2016 numbers. Beijing, in contrast, grew 1.5% to 95 million. Atlanta was the only airport among the top 20 to actually lose traffic last year.
Worldwide aircraft movements increased by 3% to 95.8 million.
The top US airport for cargo is Memphis (MEM), with 4.3 million metric tons of cargo processed in 2017 — the Tennessee city is the biggest hub for FedEx. Hong Kong (HKG) remains the world’s largest cargo hub with 5.1 million metric tons of processed cargo.
The Busiest Airports of 2017 by Passenger Traffic
|RANK in 2017||RANK in 2016||AIRPORT CITY / COUNTRY / CODE||PASSENGERS: Departing and Arriving||PASSENGERS: Percent change|
|1||1||ATLANTA GA, US (ATL)||103.9 million||-0.3|
|2||2||BEIJING, CN (PEK)||95.8 million||1.5|
|3||3||DUBAI, AE (DXB)||88 million||5.5|
|4||5||TOKYO, JP (HND)||85 million||6.5|
|5||4||LOS ANGELES CA, US (LAX)||84.6 million||4.5|
|6||6||CHICAGO IL, US (ORD)||79.8 million||2.4|
|7||7||LONDON, GB (LHR)||78 million||3|
|8||8||HONG KONG, HK (HKG)||72.6 million||3.4|
|9||9||SHANGHAI, CN (PVG)||70 million||6.1|
|10||10||PARIS, FR (CDG)||69.5 million||5.4|
|11||12||AMSTERDAM, NL (AMS)||68.5 million||7.7|
|12||11||DALLAS/FORT WORTH TX, US (DFW)||67.1 million||2.3|
|13||15||GUANGZHOU, CN (CAN)||65.9 million||10.3|
|14||13||FRANKFURT, DE (FRA)||64.5 million||6.1|
|15||14||ISTANBUL, TR (IST)||64.1 million||6.1|
|16||22||NEW DELHI, IN (DEL)||63.5 million||14.1|
|17||19||JAKARTA, ID (CGK)||63 million||8.3|
|18||17||SINGAPORE, SG (SIN)||62 million||6|
|19||20||INCHEON, KR (ICN)||62 million||7.5|
|20||18||DENVER CO, US (DEN)||61 million||5.3|
Featured photo of the Atlanta airport by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees