This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once again, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is the world’s busiest airport by passenger traffic, according to 2017 data released Thursday by Airports Council International. Atlanta has held the uncontested title since 1998 — but it may lose it soon, as air traffic growth keeps booming in China. Beijing is getting very close to the top spot.
Overall passenger traffic worldwide increased 7.5% to 8.3 billion in 2017 – one of the strongest growth rates in aviation history. Out of those 8.3 billion travelers, Atlanta International Airport personally accounted for just under 104 million – the only airport to break the 100-million mark. However, the airport saw a slight decrease in year-on-year passenger traffic, with a small drop of 0.3% from 2016 numbers. Beijing, in contrast, grew 1.5% to 95 million. Atlanta was the only airport among the top 20 to actually lose traffic last year.
Worldwide aircraft movements increased by 3% to 95.8 million.
The top US airport for cargo is Memphis (MEM), with 4.3 million metric tons of cargo processed in 2017 — the Tennessee city is the biggest hub for FedEx. Hong Kong (HKG) remains the world’s largest cargo hub with 5.1 million metric tons of processed cargo.
The Busiest Airports of 2017 by Passenger Traffic
|RANK in 2017||RANK in 2016||AIRPORT CITY / COUNTRY / CODE||PASSENGERS: Departing and Arriving||PASSENGERS: Percent change|
|1||1||ATLANTA GA, US (ATL)||103.9 million||-0.3|
|2||2||BEIJING, CN (PEK)||95.8 million||1.5|
|3||3||DUBAI, AE (DXB)||88 million||5.5|
|4||5||TOKYO, JP (HND)||85 million||6.5|
|5||4||LOS ANGELES CA, US (LAX)||84.6 million||4.5|
|6||6||CHICAGO IL, US (ORD)||79.8 million||2.4|
|7||7||LONDON, GB (LHR)||78 million||3|
|8||8||HONG KONG, HK (HKG)||72.6 million||3.4|
|9||9||SHANGHAI, CN (PVG)||70 million||6.1|
|10||10||PARIS, FR (CDG)||69.5 million||5.4|
|11||12||AMSTERDAM, NL (AMS)||68.5 million||7.7|
|12||11||DALLAS/FORT WORTH TX, US (DFW)||67.1 million||2.3|
|13||15||GUANGZHOU, CN (CAN)||65.9 million||10.3|
|14||13||FRANKFURT, DE (FRA)||64.5 million||6.1|
|15||14||ISTANBUL, TR (IST)||64.1 million||6.1|
|16||22||NEW DELHI, IN (DEL)||63.5 million||14.1|
|17||19||JAKARTA, ID (CGK)||63 million||8.3|
|18||17||SINGAPORE, SG (SIN)||62 million||6|
|19||20||INCHEON, KR (ICN)||62 million||7.5|
|20||18||DENVER CO, US (DEN)||61 million||5.3|
Featured photo of the Atlanta airport by Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees