This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once again, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is the world’s busiest airport by passenger traffic, according to 2017 data released Thursday by Airports Council International. Atlanta has held the uncontested title since 1998 — but it may lose it soon, as air traffic growth keeps booming in China. Beijing is getting very close to the top spot.
Overall passenger traffic worldwide increased 7.5% to 8.3 billion in 2017 – one of the strongest growth rates in aviation history. Out of those 8.3 billion travelers, Atlanta International Airport personally accounted for just under 104 million – the only airport to break the 100-million mark. However, the airport saw a slight decrease in year-on-year passenger traffic, with a small drop of 0.3% from 2016 numbers. Beijing, in contrast, grew 1.5% to 95 million. Atlanta was the only airport among the top 20 to actually lose traffic last year.
Worldwide aircraft movements increased by 3% to 95.8 million.
The top US airport for cargo is Memphis (MEM), with 4.3 million metric tons of cargo processed in 2017 — the Tennessee city is the biggest hub for FedEx. Hong Kong (HKG) remains the world’s largest cargo hub with 5.1 million metric tons of processed cargo.
The Busiest Airports of 2017 by Passenger Traffic
|RANK in 2017||RANK in 2016||AIRPORT CITY / COUNTRY / CODE||PASSENGERS: Departing and Arriving||PASSENGERS: Percent change|
|1||1||ATLANTA GA, US (ATL)||103.9 million||-0.3|
|2||2||BEIJING, CN (PEK)||95.8 million||1.5|
|3||3||DUBAI, AE (DXB)||88 million||5.5|
|4||5||TOKYO, JP (HND)||85 million||6.5|
|5||4||LOS ANGELES CA, US (LAX)||84.6 million||4.5|
|6||6||CHICAGO IL, US (ORD)||79.8 million||2.4|
|7||7||LONDON, GB (LHR)||78 million||3|
|8||8||HONG KONG, HK (HKG)||72.6 million||3.4|
|9||9||SHANGHAI, CN (PVG)||70 million||6.1|
|10||10||PARIS, FR (CDG)||69.5 million||5.4|
|11||12||AMSTERDAM, NL (AMS)||68.5 million||7.7|
|12||11||DALLAS/FORT WORTH TX, US (DFW)||67.1 million||2.3|
|13||15||GUANGZHOU, CN (CAN)||65.9 million||10.3|
|14||13||FRANKFURT, DE (FRA)||64.5 million||6.1|
|15||14||ISTANBUL, TR (IST)||64.1 million||6.1|
|16||22||NEW DELHI, IN (DEL)||63.5 million||14.1|
|17||19||JAKARTA, ID (CGK)||63 million||8.3|
|18||17||SINGAPORE, SG (SIN)||62 million||6|
|19||20||INCHEON, KR (ICN)||62 million||7.5|
|20||18||DENVER CO, US (DEN)||61 million||5.3|
Featured photo of the Atlanta airport by Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards