Waldorf Astoria Maldives award space currently open at the old rates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve recently been unsuccessfully searching for award space at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives, we’ve got fantastic news: Hilton has opened up standard award space at the resort starting near-term and running through the end of the calendar. While there are scattered dates available in most months, there are noticeable clusters to be found between Feb. and May 2022, as first reported by View From the Wing.
A few weeks ago, we reported that award rates at this property were increasing from 120,000 to 150,000 Hilton Honors points per night for a standard room. The good news is that while the rates on some dates have gone up, you can still find some award space at the old rates.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While searching for availability last night, I was able to find several two-night stays in June for 120,000 Hilton points per night. You might find similar deals by searching in one to two-night increments, but keep in mind that Hilton elites also get the fifth night free.
Both the 120,000-point rate and the fifth-night free amount to a 20% discount on award nights. In the ideal scenario, you’d book a five-night award stay at the 120,000 point rate, plus the fifth night free on a five-night booking. However, finding five award nights in a row at the lowest available rate may or may not be possible even with this increase in availability.
As you can see, the lower standard award room rate isn’t always available for multiple days in a row, so you may still need to book a mix of awards and paid stays and keep an eye on those paid stays to see if a reasonably priced award becomes available.
And keep in mind that a standard room redemption at this resort is really anything but standard. For example, this villa that pricing as low as 120,000 points comes in at over 3,000 square feet with two queen beds, its own infinity pool and direct ocean access.
If you’ve been stocking up on Hilton points thanks to the current best-ever welcome bonuses that go as high as 130,000 points on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card (after spending $2,000 in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 8/25/21), this resort is a great place to really squeeze maximum value out of your points. TPG values Hilton points at 0.6 cents each, but you can often get two cents or more when redeeming the points at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives. Just remember that even if you use points you’ll still be on the hook for expenses such as the $650 per adult 40-minute yacht ride from the Velana International Airport.
With standard room availability being more widespread than normal, this might also be a great opportunity to redeem your Hilton free night certificate from the Hilton credit cards. The expiration dates on these certificates have been extended and they’re now valid any night, not just on weekends.
- Any certificate issued prior to May 1, 2020, is valid through Aug. 31, 2021
- Any certificate issued between May 1 and Dec. 31, 2020, is valid for 24 months from the date of issuance
- All newly issued Free Weekend Night Reward certificates will be valid through Dec. 31, 2022.
If the Maldives is on your bucket list, the Waldorf Astoria is a great property to redeem your Hilton points. While the transfer fees are steep, it can be worthwhile for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. And considering the standard room is a partially over-water Reef Villa, you’re getting more than just a typical hotel room.
Featured image courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees