Hilton confirms top luxury property redemption rates going up by 25%, but could it spread?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s going to cost you more to use your Hilton Honors points at one of the top Hilton properties in the world.
Hilton Hotels has confirmed it raised its top award night rate to 150,000 Hilton Honors points per night for standard redemptions at one of its top properties. It’s a 25% increase in award price. The increase was first noticed by Gary Leff at View From the Wing.
Leff noticed that standard award nights at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi were pricing as high as 150,000 points. Hilton standard awards had previously been capped at 120,000 points, so that would be a pretty substantial devaluation, especially if it spread to other properties.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As you can imagine, it’s not an easy property to find standard awards availability. I found some nights in the next month available at the standard level, but very little for the next year. As you can see from the search results below, 150,000 is noted as a “standard room reward” when the inventory is available on May 9, 13 and 15.
If I wanted a standard room redemption on May 13, for example, I’d need to fork over 150,000 Hilton Honors points instead of the previous standard redemption of 120,000 points. Hilton introduced the formerly-highest standard pricing of 120,000 points back in February 2019. Standard room rewards are generally capped at specific amounts, mostly between 5,000 and 120,000 points per night. 95,000 used to be the highest price you would pay until just a few years ago.
The Hilton Honors program doesn’t officially publish an award chart, and this is not a great sign. Does this Maldives news mean Hilton is adjusting its unpublished award chart? Could other aspirational properties follow suit?
We reached out to Hilton, and they did confirm that, “The maximum number of Points for a standard redemption at Waldorf Astoria Maldives is now 150,000 points. Depending on the time of year, and rate, members may be able to book a standard redemption at 120,000 points per night, as a result of our dynamic pricing for Standard Room Rewards.”
We did ask if other Hilton properties might go to 150K as a standard redemption. Hilton said, “Waldorf Astoria Maldives is a special property. At this time, we do not have plans to bring any other current properties up to the 150,000 Point level.”
Hilton wouldn’t say if the older cap of 95,000 Hilton points that we’ve written about before would remain the normal standard high price.
There is some good news. Hilton said elites still get a fifth night free when booking standard reward stays of five or more consecutive nights. And your free night certificates that come with holding various American Express credit cards are still valid at this hotel (if you can find standard award availability).
Related: What is Hilton elite status worth?
Of course, if you really wanted to go crazy (and have millions of Hilton points to spare), you could book the two-bedroom grand beach villa for a cool 3,034,000 Hilton Honors points per night.
And if you want to get a big boost on your Hilton Honors points balances, it might be worth it to look into the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. The current welcome offer is 150,000 Hilton Honors points after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership which would get you one night at the Maldives Waldorf.
Hilton launched the card, which offers automatic Diamond elite status to cardholders, back in 2018. It also comes with an up to $250 Hilton resort credit for eligible purchases. Some reports suggest the Maldives property is no longer included in that credit. Good news, however, on that front too with Hilton telling me, “Hilton Honors American Express Aspire card members are eligible to use their $250 resort credit at this resort.” Enrollment required for select benefits.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Additional reporting by Emily McNutt and Benji Stawski.
Featured image courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi — The Private Island.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees