Americans to be welcomed back to Ireland without quarantine beginning July 19
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Americans will soon be able to visit Ireland and its famous rolling, green hills and charming libraries without having to endure a quarantine — if they are vaccinated. In fact, they won’t even need a predeparture test.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Reuters was the first to report Ireland will rollout new digital vaccine passports on July 19. According to the transport minister, Americans and British citizens will be able to come in at that time as long as they have proof of vaccination. From the Ireland government website, “The approach to travel outside the EU/EEA will also apply to travel to and from Great Britain and the U.S.”
Prime Minister Micheál Martin made the announcement last Friday and also said restaurants and bars would begin serving customers indoors again as of July 5.
United Airlines is already celebrating the news saying in a Tweet that it will add a nonstop flight from Chicago to Dublin beginning in July.
Americans have been allowed to visit Ireland but must have proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within three days of arrival and until May 28 they had to quarantine for two weeks at their own expense at a government-sanctioned hotel. Currently, Americans can go with a negative test, but they still have to spend five days in self-isolation until a second test is taken and comes back negative. Those restrictions are going away as of July 19, as long as you are vaccinated.You will still need to have a negative test.
The Irish government says, “Ireland will operate the EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) for travel originating within the EU/EEA,” but the rules will also apply to the United States and the United Kingdom.
More information on visiting Ireland can be found here.
Related: Visiting Dublin and Edinburgh
And a reminder from the U.S. embassy in Ireland, “all airline passengers to the United States ages 2 years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel.” That means you’ll need to get a COVID-19 test before you return to the States.
Don’t miss TPG’s Ireland hub — it’s got everything you need to know about traveling to the Emerald Isle.
Featured image by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.