Americans to be welcomed back to Ireland without quarantine beginning July 19
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Americans will soon be able to visit Ireland and its famous rolling, green hills and charming libraries without having to endure a quarantine — if they are vaccinated. In fact, they won’t even need a predeparture test.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Reuters was the first to report Ireland will rollout new digital vaccine passports on July 19. According to the transport minister, Americans and British citizens will be able to come in at that time as long as they have proof of vaccination. From the Ireland government website, “The approach to travel outside the EU/EEA will also apply to travel to and from Great Britain and the U.S.”
Prime Minister Micheál Martin made the announcement last Friday and also said restaurants and bars would begin serving customers indoors again as of July 5.
United Airlines is already celebrating the news saying in a Tweet that it will add a nonstop flight from Chicago to Dublin beginning in July.
Americans have been allowed to visit Ireland but must have proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within three days of arrival and until May 28 they had to quarantine for two weeks at their own expense at a government-sanctioned hotel. Currently, Americans can go with a negative test, but they still have to spend five days in self-isolation until a second test is taken and comes back negative. Those restrictions are going away as of July 19, as long as you are vaccinated.You will still need to have a negative test.
The Irish government says, “Ireland will operate the EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) for travel originating within the EU/EEA,” but the rules will also apply to the United States and the United Kingdom.
More information on visiting Ireland can be found here.
Related: Visiting Dublin and Edinburgh
And a reminder from the U.S. embassy in Ireland, “all airline passengers to the United States ages 2 years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel.” That means you’ll need to get a COVID-19 test before you return to the States.
Don’t miss TPG’s Ireland hub — it’s got everything you need to know about traveling to the Emerald Isle.
Featured image by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees