Virgin Trains USA Plans to Connect Miami and Orlando, and Extend to Disney World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What if you could get off a cruise in Miami and take a comfortable high-speed train all the way to inside the gates of the Walt Disney World complex in Orlando? According to Sir Richard Branson, this is not a dream, but the plan. Thursday in Miami, Branson helped reveal the newly renamed Virgin MiamiCentral station, displaying the Virgin Trains USA branding for the very first time.
In 2018, Virgin Trains invested in the Brightline train service that already operates Miami – Ft. Lauderdale – West Palm Beach. The plan is to transition from Brightline to Virgin Trains branding in 2019, with the Virgin MiamiCentral station starring as the first visual piece of that plan.
The President of Virgin Trains USA, Patrick Goddard, said that in three years you will be able to ride the train all the way to Disney World. From Miami, that ride should take about three hours with speeds topping out at 110 – 125 mph in some places, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
According to this week’s announcements, not only will you be able to take a Virgin Train from Miami to Orlando and into Disney World as early as 2022, but these trains will also help those who fly directly into Orlando for their family vacations.
While the exact timing hinges on funding and permits, Goddard told the Orlando Sentinel that it is “entirely conceivable” that the Orlando station and the 20-mile extension into Disney World would be completed at the same time.
Currently, the drive from the Orlando Airport to Walt Disney World can be done in 20 – 25 minutes without traffic, but during traffic, it can mean over an hour of stop and go driving each direction to start or end your family’s vacation. Of course, if you are renting a car to make the drive, then your total time from landing to arriving at Disney World is greater — and you then likely have to contend with parking fees.
To get a hint at future Virgin Train pricing in Orlando, look to current prices on the roughly 30-minute line from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami where tickets range from $17 – $35 each. The priciest tickets include premium lounge access, cocktails, early boarding, wider 21-inch seats (compared to 19-inch) and included parking in the garages. Some of those inclusions would likely be less important on the short journey from Orlando’s airport to Disney World.
Virgin Trains USA isn’t just eyeing expansion to Orlando and Disney, it also hopes to have future service on to Tampa, and between Las Vegas and Southern California.
Featured photo courtesy of Brightline Press.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees