Virgin Galactic To Launch Rockets From New Spaceport in Italy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Richard Branson-backed space-flight company Virgin Galactic has signed an agreement to expand its operations to Italy. The company wants to launch customers into space from a future Italian spaceport.
Virgin Galactic is joining with two prominent Italian Aerospace companies, ALTEC and SITAEL, to launch flights from Taranto-Grottaglie Airport (TAR). ALTEC is owned by the Italian Space Agency while SITAEL is the largest private space company in Italy.
According to The Verge, Virgin Galactic will work with the Italian companies to build a unique spacecraft that will only operate from a new Italian spaceport built at Taranto-Grottaglie airport, located in the “boot” of the country. The company is currently testing the VSS Unity out of its spaceport in New Mexico. Virgin plans on keeping its headquarters in New Mexico.
In addition to being available for tourist flights, the new aircraft will be used by the Italian Space Agency and for other scientific experiments. The three organizations have not provided a timeline for when the first flight will actually launch.
The VSS Unity has yet to reach outer-space in its trial flights, but Branson says its only two or three tests away before it can exit Earth’s atmosphere. You can actually use Virgin Atlantic Miles to snag a seat, or a discount, on a future Virgin Galactic flight, where tickets cost $250,000.
Virgin and the Italian Space Agency have a history — in 2017 the two partnered to carryout a spaceflight mission by the end of 2019 that would include an Italian researcher. That mission is planned for a New Mexico launch.
Taranto-Grottaglie Airport is an important center for airline production. Large parts of the Boeing 787 fuselages are crafted in the city and then flown via a Boeing 747 Dreamlifter to either Charleston (CHS) or Everett (PAE), where the 787s are then assembled.
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Galactic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.