Watch A 787 Dreamliner Get Built
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways, one of the largest operators of the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, shared a video of how this massive aircraft is built from start to finish. The video condenses into four minutes a process that takes months to show how the aircraft is assembled, painted, and prompted for testing. The 787-9 in the British Airways layout seats 216 passengers in a four-class first, business, premium economy and economy configuration, and can fly nonstop 9,000 miles. British Airways alliance partner Qantas will soon put it in service on the new longest nonstop flight in the world, Perth to London.
787 parts are built all over the world, from Japan to Italy to the US itself, and then flown by a 747 Dreamlifter to the Boeing plants in Everett, Washington, or Charleston, South Carolina, where they are assembled.
If you’re like me, this video will send you down a rabbit hole of pages researching how the materials used and the batteries installed in the 787-9 are different from other large aircraft (a rabbit hole I highly recommend, if you have the time). And now, I’m looking forward to my next flight on one of Boeing’s Dreamliner.
Feature image taken from YouTube video.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.