This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways, one of the largest operators of the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, shared a video of how this massive aircraft is built from start to finish. The video condenses into four minutes a process that takes months to show how the aircraft is assembled, painted, and prompted for testing. The 787-9 in the British Airways layout seats 216 passengers in a four-class first, business, premium economy and economy configuration, and can fly nonstop 9,000 miles. British Airways alliance partner Qantas will soon put it in service on the new longest nonstop flight in the world, Perth to London.
787 parts are built all over the world, from Japan to Italy to the US itself, and then flown by a 747 Dreamlifter to the Boeing plants in Everett, Washington, or Charleston, South Carolina, where they are assembled.
If you’re like me, this video will send you down a rabbit hole of pages researching how the materials used and the batteries installed in the 787-9 are different from other large aircraft (a rabbit hole I highly recommend, if you have the time). And now, I’m looking forward to my next flight on one of Boeing’s Dreamliner.
Feature image taken from YouTube video.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees