Video: Delta’s First Airbus A220 Completes Milestone Test Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a short delay for the stars to perfectly align, Delta’s first Airbus A220 has completed its first official test flight in the airline’s livery. The aircraft formerly known as the Bombardier C Series took to Canadian skies on Saturday, completing a three-hour test flight in Mirabel, Quebec, after finishing up its time in the paint shop last month. We already had a few photos to gawk at, but the big surprise here is the motif on the underbelly, leaving no doubt as to the carrier associated with this particular plane.
Delta didn’t share too many details about the flight beyond that, but suffice it to say everything went well enough to boast about its completion. As a reminder, Delta Air Lines will be the first US airline to take delivery of the A220. Per Delta’s own description, the aircraft will “feature a modern interior with a spacious, widebody feel, and best-in-class fuel performance.”
The move is part of a larger strategy play which will see Delta upgrade its domestic fleet to replace less-efficient aircraft with highly efficient birds like the A220 as well as new Boeing 737-900ERs, Airbus A321s, Airbus A350s, the Airbus A330-900neo and the Airbus A321neo.
Next up for Delta’s first A220 is a trip back to the assembly line where it will undergo “pre-delivery testing and installation of its state-of-the-art interior” before flying paying passengers from point to point beginning in early 2019.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees