Video: Delta’s First Airbus A220 Completes Milestone Test Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a short delay for the stars to perfectly align, Delta’s first Airbus A220 has completed its first official test flight in the airline’s livery. The aircraft formerly known as the Bombardier C Series took to Canadian skies on Saturday, completing a three-hour test flight in Mirabel, Quebec, after finishing up its time in the paint shop last month. We already had a few photos to gawk at, but the big surprise here is the motif on the underbelly, leaving no doubt as to the carrier associated with this particular plane.
Delta didn’t share too many details about the flight beyond that, but suffice it to say everything went well enough to boast about its completion. As a reminder, Delta Air Lines will be the first US airline to take delivery of the A220. Per Delta’s own description, the aircraft will “feature a modern interior with a spacious, widebody feel, and best-in-class fuel performance.”
The move is part of a larger strategy play which will see Delta upgrade its domestic fleet to replace less-efficient aircraft with highly efficient birds like the A220 as well as new Boeing 737-900ERs, Airbus A321s, Airbus A350s, the Airbus A330-900neo and the Airbus A321neo.
Next up for Delta’s first A220 is a trip back to the assembly line where it will undergo “pre-delivery testing and installation of its state-of-the-art interior” before flying paying passengers from point to point beginning in early 2019.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.