USAA Announces Discontinuation of Price Protection
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
USAA Visa Signature cardholders will no longer have access to price protection as of August 31. USAA (United Services Automobile Association) offers a small selection of credit cards to members of the military and their families, including children whose parents joined USAA. Although the selection of cards is limited, all of them currently offer price protection and other benefits without an annual fee.
But, Doctor Of Credit reported today — and I was able to confirm via my husband JT’s USAA Rewards Visa Signature Card — that the price-protection benefit is ending. Cardholders have been receiving the following letter:
Specifically, USAA Visa Signature cards will see the following changes in benefits:
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver — There will no longer be a limit on the value of the car you rent; however, certain restrictions apply. For example, exotic car rentals are excluded.
- Extended Warranty — The claim maximum has been raised to $15,000 from $10,000.
- Price Protection — This benefit is being discontinued because cardholders weren’t using it very much.
Two of the three changes are positive, but the one negative change — loss of price protection — means that the list of cards that still offer price protection is growing very short with Citi, Mastercard and Discover all discontinuing their price protection programs recently. USAA notes that the price-protection benefit “is being discontinued due to low usage by cardholders.” But, low usage should make the benefit inexpensive for an issuer to provide.
USAA said the following in an email statement: “The price protection benefit will be discontinued for all of our card products as of August 31, 2019; however, our non-Visa Signature cards will have rental car term coverage expanded from 15 days to 31 days. For all of our card products, there will no longer be a limit on the value of the car rented, with certain restrictions.”
On the plus side, USAA provides online guide to benefits for all of its cards without requiring a log-in, but these guides haven’t yet been updated to reflect the announced changes.
Featured photo by Bloemenmarkt / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees