US land border opening to fully vaccinated travelers from Canada and Mexico in November
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States land borders with both Canada and Mexico will finally open to fully vaccinated travelers for the first time in 18 months from November.
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas confirmed non-essential travel from the two countries would be allowed, including to visit family and friends, through land and ferry border crossings following an announcement of reopening to air travelers made last month.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Full details including proof of vaccination and the eligibility of mixed-dose vaccines will be announced soon. The Centers for Disease Control has still not approved some vaccines that have been issued to millions of people around the world, such as the Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccine. However, the CDC has said it will allow those with vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) to be accepted. That would include vaccines from China and the AstraZeneca vaccine.
The reopening announcement comes after recent news fully-vaccinated Europeans will also be able to enter the country from “early November” though the start date and conditions of entry are still to be advised. Inside sources now believe the “early November” date will slip to mid-late November due to the logistics required to set up a uniform process to allow documented visitors from dozens of countries into dozens of U.S. gateways.
Since 9 Aug. this year Canada has been welcoming fully vaccinated American visitors via land with the provision of a negative PCR test though until now this has not been reciprocated for Canadians wishing to enter the U.S after the borders were slammed shut back in March 2020 to try and stop the spread of COVID-19. The United States has since gone on to record more cases than any other country during the pandemic.
Related: Canada, US ease border restrictions
Unvaccinated foreign travelers will still be banned from entering the United States until further notice. From January 2022 this will include essential workers such as truck drivers if they wish to cross land borders in and out of the country
Featured image by Cole Burston/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees