United Is Bringing Back the Stroopwafel in 2019!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The New Year is upon us and United Airlines is going out with a bang: The airline announced via Twitter that it’s bringing back the super popular stroopwafel.
The treat was first introduced in 2015, when United reintroduced complimentary snacks in economy. For two and a half years, the stroopwafel was a popular staple for United flyers. However, the airline abruptly discounted serving the sweet treat in June.
Now, after passengers voiced their concerns over the missing snack, United has decided to reintroduce the stroopwafel this coming January. A spokesperson for United tells TPG via email that the “intention has always been to bring it back.” However, no comment was made on the exact date of the stroopwafel’s return.
The stroopwafel is as iconic as Delta’s Biscoff cookie. A popular Dutch treat that originated in Amsterdam in the 19th century, it’s made by combining two very thin waffles over a layer of gooey caramel. The stroopwafel grew in popularity thanks to companies like Daelmans, Rip Van Wafels and Belgian Boys. These companies made the stroopwafel the ideal morning treat on flights thanks to the product’s thin design and long shelf-life. American Airlines also offers the stroopwafel, however, only in First Class snack baskets.
United introduced the stroopwafel amid the return of free snacks on all three major airlines. The stroopwafel was available on domestic morning flights. While the sweet morning treat became quite popular, United decided to stop serving the stroopwafel this past June. After six months without stroopwafels in coach, United announced via Twitter that it will return in 2019.
This post has been updated to include comment from United.
Featured image by United Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.