United Scraps the Beloved Economy Stroopwafel on US Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a sad day for Stroopwafel fans — at least those traveling in United economy on domestic flights departing before 9:45am.
The “Stroop,” as it’s been affectionately coined at TPG headquarters, first began making its way to United Airlines coach passengers in 2016. As of this weekend, the carrier’s replacing the beloved breakfast treat with maple wafers from the Byrd Cookie Company.
As described by the airline, the replacement treat “combines a crunchy texture with a sweet maple flavor.” United continues by explaining that “many [are] heralding [maple syrup] as the ‘next pumpkin spice.'”
I don’t want the “next pumpkin spice”… I want my Stroop!
United’s going all-in with its new breakfast treat, though, even offering a tour of the factory through MileagePlus Exclusives.
Bidding is currently up to 50,000 miles, and there are two packages available. Winners will receive:
- Round-trip United economy flights to Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Two nights at the Perry Lane Hotel
- Byrd’s tour for two, including wine and snacks
- Economy-size rental car allowance
You’ll have until 1:00pm ET on July 31 to place your bid.
Oh, and a bit of good news on the Stroop front — they’re expected to return to United at some point in the future, and, for now, you’ll continue to enjoy them on flights departing Europe before 9:30am.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.