United bringing back Kosher options and other specialized meals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is again serving Kosher meals on some long-haul flights and will roll them out to many more over the next few weeks.
United also plans to bring back other specialized meals in early 2022, according to an article by DansDeals, and later confirmed by TPG. That means you should be able to pre-order Asian, gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian meals sometime early next year.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
There is good news for families too, as children’s meals will also be available sometime in the first quarter of 2022.
United told TPG, “We’re aiming to have the others available sometime in Q1.. [we’ll] keep you posted as our timing firms up a bit more.”
United first ditched special meals early in the pandemic as the airline – and almost all carriers – eliminated hot food and drinks as a COVID-19-containment strategy.
Earlier this year, United restored Kosher meals between destinations such as New York to London Heathrow (LHR), as well as San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD).
Kosher meals are already available for most other international flights out of Newark International Airport (EWR).
The meals will be provided by New-Jersey specialty food group Fresko which already supplies meals on United flights from Newark (EWR) to Tel Aviv.
Who gets these meal options?
During long-haul international flights, meals are offered in all United cabins. This does not include economy-class travel in the Caribbean and Latin America, according to United’s website.
Those flying in a premium cabin on long-haul domestic flights, to the Caribbean and to Latin America will have selections for sandwiches and snack boxes for flights over two hours and 20 minutes, according to United’s website.
Travelers in premium cabin seats can also pre-order meals up to five days ahead or 24 hours before their departure flight depending on the route.
Additional reporting by Zach Griff.
Featured image by Ethan Klapper/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees