United Airlines to add a 6th daily nonstop flight between Newark and London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is planning to add a sixth daily frequency between its hub in Newark and London Heathrow.
Beginning in March 2020, the carrier will add an 8 p.m. departure from Newark (EWR), bound for London Heathrow (LHR). United announced the flight Friday during the company’s first-ever media day in Chicago.
With the addition, the carrier will have hourly EWR departures between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Aside from the hourly nighttime flights from EWR to LHR, United will maintain its single day flight, which departs EWR at 8:30 a.m.
The additional flight from Newark will give United a combined 18 daily departures to Heathrow from all of its U.S. hubs, said Andrew Nocella, United’s chief commercial officer.
Related: The ultimate guide to United Polaris
Heathrow is one of the world’s busiest airports and airlines can’t add service there without first obtaining a takeoff and landing slot.
They aren’t easy to come by.
“We borrowed from Lufthansa,” Nocella said, hinting at a lease but refusing to say for sure.
United has recently emphasized its presence in London. Also at the airline’s Chicago media day, United announced that through its partnership with Marriott, business-class passengers will be able to have their checked bags delivered to select hotels in London.
In August, the carrier announced that all of its Newark to London Heathrow nonstop flights would get its Polaris business-class product.
Additional reporting by Scott Mayerowitz.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees