United Airlines to add a 6th daily nonstop flight between Newark and London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is planning to add a sixth daily frequency between its hub in Newark and London Heathrow.
Beginning in March 2020, the carrier will add an 8 p.m. departure from Newark (EWR), bound for London Heathrow (LHR). United announced the flight Friday during the company’s first-ever media day in Chicago.
With the addition, the carrier will have hourly EWR departures between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Aside from the hourly nighttime flights from EWR to LHR, United will maintain its single day flight, which departs EWR at 8:30 a.m.
The additional flight from Newark will give United a combined 18 daily departures to Heathrow from all of its U.S. hubs, said Andrew Nocella, United’s chief commercial officer.
Related: The ultimate guide to United Polaris
Heathrow is one of the world’s busiest airports and airlines can’t add service there without first obtaining a takeoff and landing slot.
They aren’t easy to come by.
“We borrowed from Lufthansa,” Nocella said, hinting at a lease but refusing to say for sure.
United has recently emphasized its presence in London. Also at the airline’s Chicago media day, United announced that through its partnership with Marriott, business-class passengers will be able to have their checked bags delivered to select hotels in London.
In August, the carrier announced that all of its Newark to London Heathrow nonstop flights would get its Polaris business-class product.
Additional reporting by Scott Mayerowitz.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.