United Airlines to add a 6th daily nonstop flight between Newark and London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is planning to add a sixth daily frequency between its hub in Newark and London Heathrow.
Beginning in March 2020, the carrier will add an 8 p.m. departure from Newark (EWR), bound for London Heathrow (LHR). United announced the flight Friday during the company’s first-ever media day in Chicago.
With the addition, the carrier will have hourly EWR departures between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Aside from the hourly nighttime flights from EWR to LHR, United will maintain its single day flight, which departs EWR at 8:30 a.m.
The additional flight from Newark will give United a combined 18 daily departures to Heathrow from all of its U.S. hubs, said Andrew Nocella, United’s chief commercial officer.
Related: The ultimate guide to United Polaris
Heathrow is one of the world’s busiest airports and airlines can’t add service there without first obtaining a takeoff and landing slot.
They aren’t easy to come by.
“We borrowed from Lufthansa,” Nocella said, hinting at a lease but refusing to say for sure.
United has recently emphasized its presence in London. Also at the airline’s Chicago media day, United announced that through its partnership with Marriott, business-class passengers will be able to have their checked bags delivered to select hotels in London.
In August, the carrier announced that all of its Newark to London Heathrow nonstop flights would get its Polaris business-class product.
Additional reporting by Scott Mayerowitz.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.