United to try delivering luggage directly to select Marriott hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some United Airlines flyers arriving at London’s Heathrow Airport will soon be able to send their bags directly to their hotels.
Through United’s partnership with Marriott, business-class customers flying from Newark Liberty International Airport to London will be able to have their checked bags delivered to select properties in the English capital.
The program starts Nov. 1.
Luc Bondar, United’s Vice President of Loyalty and head of the MileagePlus program, announced the new program Friday in Chicago at the airline’s first media day in recent memory.
“We think it will be awesome and a real game-changer,” Bondar said.
Related: The ultimate guide to United Polaris
The program will initially only apply to passengers flying in United’s Polaris premium cabin from Newark and staying at five Marriott properties in London.
Those hotels are the JW Marriott Grosvenor House London, London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf, London Marriott Hotel County Hall, Sheraton Grand London Park Lane and St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London.
Passengers will proceed through immigration and customs as normal. Then they need to look for the bag drop desk in the arrivals area of Heathrow. It will be open seven days a week from 6 a.m. to noon. There is no need to pre-register for the service.
As the program expands, Bondar said United will focus on markets where passengers are arriving early in the day and don’t want to drag a suitcase all around the city. The initial push will be for business travelers.
Eventually, it could be expanded to leisure markets and maybe domestic flights. However, neither of those options appeared likely in the first round or two of markets based on Bondar’s tone in describing the plan on Friday.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.