United plans to roll out 3D photos of aircraft interiors on seat map page
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to know what your seat will actually look like on your next flight?
Starting Saturday, United Airlines will add 3D images of aircraft interiors to its seat map page.
That means you can see if there is a window missing in a row, how much legroom seats have, if there are seatback TVs and if the aircraft’s interior has been updated or not.
United didn’t provide many details about this new feature, but showed a quick photo of it to reporters gathered in Chicago for the airline’s first media day in recent memory.
Linda Jojo, the airline’s chief information officer, said the 3D view will start on the new Bombardier CRJ550 and roll out to the rest of the fleet “pretty fast — by the end of the year.”
In follow-up questions, she said it would show both refreshed interiors and those waiting renovations. In other words: passengers will be able to tell if their specific plane has been updated or not.
No other U.S. airline has such a feature.
Learn more from Linda Jojo and what her team has been up to on the Talking Points podcast.
Featured photo by Scott Mayerowitz/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.