United Airlines adds extra step to get refund for seat fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Though you’re eligible for a refund when an airline cancels your flight, carriers have tried to wiggle their way out of giving your money back. Many will proactively give you a voucher when they cancel your flight to discourage you from requesting a refund.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter
Of the U.S. carriers, United is the worst offender here. It has made multiple updates to its schedule-change policy at the outset of the coronavirus pandemic before landing on its current version: If your flight is canceled, you can only get a refund if the re-accommodated flight departs or arrives more than six hours before or after your original flight.
And now, the Chicago-based carrier is back with a change to the process for claiming a refund for seat fees. Previously, if United couldn’t accommodate a Premium Plus, Economy Plus or Preferred seating purchase, you’d be automatically refunded for that ancillary purchase. This made it easy for passengers to be reassured that they’d be getting all the money back that they deserve.
Well, United has made a change to that policy. Though you’re still entitled to a refund for the seat fee, you now need to manually request your money back.
As noted in the carrier’s updated Contract of Carriage, “the Passenger is eligible for a refund of this fee upon request” (emphasis mine). A United spokesperson confirmed to TPG that these changes are effective immediately.
To request your seat fee refund, you’ll need to fill out United’s refund form. You’ll end up getting your money back within seven business days of when UA approves the claim (which anecdotally has been taking weeks).
Though this is certainly annoying, at least the carrier isn’t changing the refund policy like it did with schedule changes. As a reminder, you’ll need to request your seat fee refund within 90 days of the date the seats were purchased or flight date, whichever is later.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees