United Launching New Flights to Naples, Prague and Amsterdam
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On the heels of American’s announcement of a handful of new flights to Europe, United’s sharing plans to introduce three new routes of its own — all beginning in 2019.
First up is daily, year-round 787-9 Dreamliner service between San Francisco (SFO) and Amsterdam (AMS), joining existing UA options from Chicago (ORD), Houston (IAH), Newark (EWR) and Washington, D.C. (IAD). The new flight will launch on March 30, 2019, with the following schedule:
- UA968 San Francisco (SFO) 2:55pm Departure → Amsterdam (AMS) 10:20am (+1) Arrival
- UA969 Amsterdam (AMS) 2:50pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 4:50pm Arrival
Next are two new routes from Newark, starting with a daily seasonal Boeing 767-300 flight to Naples, Italy (NAP), operating from May 22, 2019 through October 4, 2019 with the following schedule:
- UA964 Newark (EWR) 5:25pm Departure → Naples (NAP) 8:05am (+1) Arrival
- UA965 Naples (NAP) 10:10am Departure → Newark (EWR) 2:05pm Arrival
Finally, beginning June 6, 2019 through October 4, 2019, United will fly daily from Newark to Prague (PRG), also with a 767-300:
- UA188 Newark (EWR) 6:05pm Departure → Prague (PRG) 8:25am (+1) Arrival
- UA187 Prague (PRG) 10:10am Departure → Newark (EWR) 1:30pm Arrival
All three routes will likely be popular with different groups of United loyalists, but I’m perhaps most excited by the new flight to Naples — I’ve always wanted to visit the Amalfi Coast, and NAP offers direct access. These new flights should be available to book beginning later today.
United has also confirmed plans to resume seasonal flights to more than 20 international destinations next summer, including Newark to Reykjavik (KEF) and Porto (OPO), which launched this year, along with popular flights to Athens (ATH) and Venice (VCE).
It’s not yet clear if the airline plans to trim any other routes to facilitate these new seasonal launches, but the extra 787-9 and 767-300s could be freed up during an equipment reshuffling following the introduction of Boeing’s extended-length Dreamliner, the 787-10, which is expected to join United’s fleet later this year.
Featured image of United’s 767-300ER Polaris business class by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees