This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each year, unfortunate passengers end up missing holiday celebrations due to weather, maintenance delays or other irregular operations. But there’s another group of flyers who (at least somewhat intentionally) miss Christmas day entirely by booking a flight that departs on Dec. 24 and lands on Dec. 26 — a date-line-skipping California-to-Australia hop, for example.
This year, United’s helping to ease the pain of missing Christmas Day by offering bonus miles to passengers traveling on a 12/25-skipping flight, including Dec. 24 flights from San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL), Chengdu (CTU), Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD); Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney; and Houston (IAH) to Sydney.
The airline rounded up some other fun holiday-related facts as well, such as the two flights that travel closest to the North Pole (hint: both depart from Newark):
As for customers on those seven “bah humbug” flights above, United will issue an extra 2,500 award miles — worth $35 based on our valuations — deposited automatically into their MileagePlus accounts. That’ll at least help to slightly ease the pain of missing one of the country’s favorite holidays, if for some reason you have no choice but to depart on the 24th and land on the 26th.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards