This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each year, unfortunate passengers end up missing holiday celebrations due to weather, maintenance delays or other irregular operations. But there’s another group of flyers who (at least somewhat intentionally) miss Christmas day entirely by booking a flight that departs on Dec. 24 and lands on Dec. 26 — a date-line-skipping California-to-Australia hop, for example.
This year, United’s helping to ease the pain of missing Christmas Day by offering bonus miles to passengers traveling on a 12/25-skipping flight, including Dec. 24 flights from San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL), Chengdu (CTU), Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD); Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney; and Houston (IAH) to Sydney.
The airline rounded up some other fun holiday-related facts as well, such as the two flights that travel closest to the North Pole (hint: both depart from Newark):
As for customers on those seven “bah humbug” flights above, United will issue an extra 2,500 award miles — worth $35 based on our valuations — deposited automatically into their MileagePlus accounts. That’ll at least help to slightly ease the pain of missing one of the country’s favorite holidays, if for some reason you have no choice but to depart on the 24th and land on the 26th.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees