United’s Giving Bonus Miles to Passengers Who ‘Miss’ Christmas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each year, unfortunate passengers end up missing holiday celebrations due to weather, maintenance delays or other irregular operations. But there’s another group of flyers who (at least somewhat intentionally) miss Christmas day entirely by booking a flight that departs on Dec. 24 and lands on Dec. 26 — a date-line-skipping California-to-Australia hop, for example.
This year, United’s helping to ease the pain of missing Christmas Day by offering bonus miles to passengers traveling on a 12/25-skipping flight, including Dec. 24 flights from San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL), Chengdu (CTU), Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD); Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney; and Houston (IAH) to Sydney.
The airline rounded up some other fun holiday-related facts as well, such as the two flights that travel closest to the North Pole (hint: both depart from Newark):
As for customers on those seven “bah humbug” flights above, United will issue an extra 2,500 award miles — worth $35 based on our valuations — deposited automatically into their MileagePlus accounts. That’ll at least help to slightly ease the pain of missing one of the country’s favorite holidays, if for some reason you have no choice but to depart on the 24th and land on the 26th.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.