United’s Giving Bonus Miles to Passengers Who ‘Miss’ Christmas
Each year, unfortunate passengers end up missing holiday celebrations due to weather, maintenance delays or other irregular operations. But there’s another group of flyers who (at least somewhat intentionally) miss Christmas day entirely by booking a flight that departs on Dec. 24 and lands on Dec. 26 — a date-line-skipping California-to-Australia hop, for example.
This year, United’s helping to ease the pain of missing Christmas Day by offering bonus miles to passengers traveling on a 12/25-skipping flight, including Dec. 24 flights from San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL), Chengdu (CTU), Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD); Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney; and Houston (IAH) to Sydney.
The airline rounded up some other fun holiday-related facts as well, such as the two flights that travel closest to the North Pole (hint: both depart from Newark):
As for customers on those seven “bah humbug” flights above, United will issue an extra 2,500 award miles — worth $35 based on our valuations — deposited automatically into their MileagePlus accounts. That’ll at least help to slightly ease the pain of missing one of the country’s favorite holidays, if for some reason you have no choice but to depart on the 24th and land on the 26th.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees