This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US airlines are predicting a 5.2% raise in air passenger traffic during the peak Christmas and New Year’s travel days, a trade group said in its holiday air travel forecast Tuesday.
Airlines for America said that US carriers will shuttle at least 2.5 million people each day during the peak holiday stretch, which spans the 18 days between Dec. 20 to Jan. 6. That adds up to a total of about 45.7 million passengers flying in the US during the holidays.
An estimated 126,000 more passengers than the same time in 2017 are expected to fly each day during those jam-packed two and a half weeks. Luckily, US airlines have added 143,000 seats per day to accommodate this seasonal swell of travelers.
Flyers booked to travel on the Friday before Christmas, Dec. 21, should prepare for a little holly jolly mayhem. That is projected to be the busiest air travel day during this hectic period with 2.91 million passengers. On the other hand, if you’re scheduled to fly on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, you can expect to find a little more zen when you arrive at the airport, as those two days are projected to pack the least amount of passengers.
Don’t forget that during desperate times like these, it is well worth it to have services like TSA PreCheck or CLEAR biometric screening to avoid the inevitable snaking lines at security checkpoints. Plus, many travel rewards credit cards will reimburse you for the sign-up fee.
After this year’s Thanksgiving travel numbers broke all kinds of records, it is probably wise to heed Airlines for America’s prediction and prepare for possible airport pandemonium this holiday season.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees