The Sunday After Thanksgiving Was the Busiest Travel Day Ever in the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a record-breaking summer of high airport traffic during the Thanksgiving travel season, Sunday, Nov. 25, marks the busiest travel day ever in Transportation Security Administration history.
According to data collected by the TSA, from Friday, Nov. 16, through Monday, Nov. 26, approximately 25,652,287 passengers and crew were screened at airport checkpoints throughout the US. On Sunday alone, 2.7 million travelers passed through security — the most since 2004 and a 6% increase from last years numbers.
Here is a table of the TSA’s top 10 list of busiest days of travelers screened:
“It was all hands on deck during the Thanksgiving holiday week,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a press release. “Close coordination with airline and airport partners, new technology, enhanced screening and more travelers enrolled in TSA Precheck, TSA used every tool to secure air travel for the millions of passengers traveling to their holiday destinations. I thank our entire TSA team and industry partners for their work and attention to detail during a very hectic time, ensuring safe and secure travel for all passengers.”
However, despite breaking the record, the TSA also reported that airports were operating fast and efficiently. About 95% of passengers waited less than 20 minutes to get through security, and 99% of passengers with TSA PreCheck waited less than 10 minutes.
On a typical day, the TSA screens approximately 2.1 million passengers and crew. To avoid the hassle and crowding, expedited airport security programs such as CLEAR and TSA PreCheck are proven timesavers. Both programs offer shorter lines, less invasive security measures and can be purchased for a decent price if you play your cards right.
Featured image by Classen Rafael / EyeEm via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.