This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a record-breaking summer of high airport traffic during the Thanksgiving travel season, Sunday, Nov. 25, marks the busiest travel day ever in Transportation Security Administration history.
According to data collected by the TSA, from Friday, Nov. 16, through Monday, Nov. 26, approximately 25,652,287 passengers and crew were screened at airport checkpoints throughout the US. On Sunday alone, 2.7 million travelers passed through security — the most since 2004 and a 6% increase from last years numbers.
Here is a table of the TSA’s top 10 list of busiest days of travelers screened:
“It was all hands on deck during the Thanksgiving holiday week,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a press release. “Close coordination with airline and airport partners, new technology, enhanced screening and more travelers enrolled in TSA Precheck, TSA used every tool to secure air travel for the millions of passengers traveling to their holiday destinations. I thank our entire TSA team and industry partners for their work and attention to detail during a very hectic time, ensuring safe and secure travel for all passengers.”
However, despite breaking the record, the TSA also reported that airports were operating fast and efficiently. About 95% of passengers waited less than 20 minutes to get through security, and 99% of passengers with TSA PreCheck waited less than 10 minutes.
On a typical day, the TSA screens approximately 2.1 million passengers and crew. To avoid the hassle and crowding, expedited airport security programs such as CLEAR and TSA PreCheck are proven timesavers. Both programs offer shorter lines, less invasive security measures and can be purchased for a decent price if you play your cards right.
Featured image by Classen Rafael / EyeEm via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees