This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a record-breaking summer of high airport traffic during the Thanksgiving travel season, Sunday, Nov. 25, marks the busiest travel day ever in Transportation Security Administration history.
According to data collected by the TSA, from Friday, Nov. 16, through Monday, Nov. 26, approximately 25,652,287 passengers and crew were screened at airport checkpoints throughout the US. On Sunday alone, 2.7 million travelers passed through security — the most since 2004 and a 6% increase from last years numbers.
Here is a table of the TSA’s top 10 list of busiest days of travelers screened:
“It was all hands on deck during the Thanksgiving holiday week,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a press release. “Close coordination with airline and airport partners, new technology, enhanced screening and more travelers enrolled in TSA Precheck, TSA used every tool to secure air travel for the millions of passengers traveling to their holiday destinations. I thank our entire TSA team and industry partners for their work and attention to detail during a very hectic time, ensuring safe and secure travel for all passengers.”
However, despite breaking the record, the TSA also reported that airports were operating fast and efficiently. About 95% of passengers waited less than 20 minutes to get through security, and 99% of passengers with TSA PreCheck waited less than 10 minutes.
On a typical day, the TSA screens approximately 2.1 million passengers and crew. To avoid the hassle and crowding, expedited airport security programs such as CLEAR and TSA PreCheck are proven timesavers. Both programs offer shorter lines, less invasive security measures and can be purchased for a decent price if you play your cards right.
Featured image by Classen Rafael / EyeEm via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees