United Now Holding Flights for Connections at IAH, More Hubs Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, United rolled out a truly flyer-friendly tool called ConnectionSaver, It enables employees to work behind the scenes to hold flights for travelers connecting at a hub airport, who, without the new software, would otherwise misconnect and get stuck away from home — often overnight.
ConnectionSaver launched in Denver (DEN) in February, and rolled out to Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) earlier this summer, saving more than 25,000 connections in the process, according to United. When the tool is employed for any given flight, United predicts an affected aircraft will remain at the gate an extra six minutes, on average. And with schedule padding at play, passengers already on the plane should still arrive at their destinations on-time.
Now, ConnectionSaver has been rolled out to another big United hub: Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston (IAH). Next up is Newark (EWR) on July 30, followed by San Francisco (SFO) on Aug. 6 and Washington Dulles (IAD) on Aug. 13. It’ll eventually be available at all airports with United flights, though the carrier hasn’t detailed timing for a global rollout just yet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees