United Now Holding Flights for Connections at IAH, More Hubs Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, United rolled out a truly flyer-friendly tool called ConnectionSaver, It enables employees to work behind the scenes to hold flights for travelers connecting at a hub airport, who, without the new software, would otherwise misconnect and get stuck away from home — often overnight.
ConnectionSaver launched in Denver (DEN) in February, and rolled out to Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) earlier this summer, saving more than 25,000 connections in the process, according to United. When the tool is employed for any given flight, United predicts an affected aircraft will remain at the gate an extra six minutes, on average. And with schedule padding at play, passengers already on the plane should still arrive at their destinations on-time.
Now, ConnectionSaver has been rolled out to another big United hub: Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston (IAH). Next up is Newark (EWR) on July 30, followed by San Francisco (SFO) on Aug. 6 and Washington Dulles (IAD) on Aug. 13. It’ll eventually be available at all airports with United flights, though the carrier hasn’t detailed timing for a global rollout just yet.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.