United Now Holding Flights for Connections at IAH, More Hubs Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, United rolled out a truly flyer-friendly tool called ConnectionSaver, It enables employees to work behind the scenes to hold flights for travelers connecting at a hub airport, who, without the new software, would otherwise misconnect and get stuck away from home — often overnight.
ConnectionSaver launched in Denver (DEN) in February, and rolled out to Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) earlier this summer, saving more than 25,000 connections in the process, according to United. When the tool is employed for any given flight, United predicts an affected aircraft will remain at the gate an extra six minutes, on average. And with schedule padding at play, passengers already on the plane should still arrive at their destinations on-time.
Now, ConnectionSaver has been rolled out to another big United hub: Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston (IAH). Next up is Newark (EWR) on July 30, followed by San Francisco (SFO) on Aug. 6 and Washington Dulles (IAD) on Aug. 13. It’ll eventually be available at all airports with United flights, though the carrier hasn’t detailed timing for a global rollout just yet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.