United Confirms 46 Polaris-Seat 767-300ERs Coming Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, I learned that United was beginning work to reconfigure a number of its 767-300ERs with an exceptionally high number of lie-flat seats, boosting the Polaris cabin capacity by more than 50%. Wednesday, the airline confirmed that 21 aircraft will get this new arrangement, offering a total of 46 business-class seats in a 1-1-1 configuration.
Andrew Nocella, United’s executive vice president and chief commercial officer, shared the news with a small group of journalists, adding that premium seats will occupy some two-thirds of the square footage of each of these retrofitted 763s, with 22 Premium Plus seats joining as well.
United confirmed that these new aircraft will operate flights between Newark (EWR) and London (LHR), consistent with what we reported last week. While the airline wasn’t ready to share any additional routes just yet, with 21 aircraft offering this significantly boosted business config, there will certainly be more to come.
More Polaris seats should hopefully translate into better upgrade and award availability as well. As Nocella explained, “Additional premium seats on the 767-300 will be critical to allowing us to meet unmet demand on certain routes that also provide for more inventory for upgrades and mileage redemption for our most loyal customers.” Later adding, “We sell more than half of [Polaris seats] outright, and we do make room for upgrades and award availability as well across the global network.”
While dynamic Premium Plus award pricing caused some speculation that a premium-cabin award devaluation could be on the way, United hasn’t commented on any changes to MileagePlus at this point. I’m hopeful that we’ll simply see more saver awards without a jump in rate — currently 60,000 miles each way from North America to Europe in Polaris business class.
Naturally, this boost in biz capacity will come at the cost of economy seats, though. The economy cabin will drop from 138 seats to just 52, while Economy Plus will increase from 46 seats to 47, a total coach seat decrease of nearly 50%.
While there may be fewer economy seats available on some flights, the airline is boosting capacity significantly on others by adding more seats to its 777-200s and replacing some 767 flights with the far larger 787-10.
The first of these reconfigured 763 should re-enter service “in the next several weeks,” while all 21 are expected to be flying by the end of 2020.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees