United Club Card Appears to Add Inflight Savings Benefit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For over a year now, the United Explorer Card has provided 25% back in the form of a statement credit when you use the card to make a United inflight purchases such as Wi-Fi, snacks or alcohol. That was great news for Explorer cardholders, but what wasn’t great was that those with the pricier United Club Card didn’t enjoy the same 25% back on those purchases. Fortunately that seems to have recently changed.
Thanks to a tip from TPG reader Adam, I peeked at some recent inflight Wi-Fi charges made within the last few days on my United Club Card. Sure enough, the 25% statement credit was indeed present.
While my recent purchases were solely Wi-Fi, based on how the credit operates on the United Explorer Card, we presume this statement credit also works for inflight food and beverages, though TPG has reached out to Chase for confirmation. We’ve yet to receive an official response from Chase.
Update: Thanks to TPG readers for sending screenshots showing that the credit has started to work for food and beverage purchases made with their United Club Card, too!
Related: The Best Credit Cards for Flying United
When deciding which United card is right for you, keep in mind that the biggest perk of the United Club Card is United Club membership for the primary cardholder (who can then bring with them immediate family comprised of one adult and children under 21 or two guests). The card comes with a $450 annual fee, but that’s still $200 less than the normal $650 annual membership fee to join the United Club outright.
Additionally, those with the United Club Card receive select Premier Access benefits, two free checked bags, 2x miles per dollar on all United purchases, 1.5x miles per dollar on all other spend, no close-in award booking fees and improved access to United award inventory.
As a reminder, following similar moves by Delta and American, beginning Nov, 1, 2019, United Club members and one-time pass holders will only be able to access the United Club when traveling with a ticket for a same-day United, Star Alliance or partner flight.
The information for the United Club card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
This 25% statement credit on inflight United purchases may be a small addition for a $450 per year card, but for frequent United travelers, it’s still likely a welcome addition (that was arguably about a year overdue). If you are looking for ways to save on inflight Wi-Fi across a variety of airlines, here’s a rundown of all the credit cards that can help you out.
Featured photo by The Points Guy staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees