United Raises Cost of Club Membership — Here’s How to Get Around It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United has been investing heavily in redesigning its United Clubs over the past few years — and it shows. However, to make up for the enhancements, the airline wants customers to fork over more cash — or miles — in order to purchase a membership.
Effective Aug. 13, 2019, the price of an annual United Club membership will increase to $650 or 85,000 miles (worth $1,105 based on TPG’s valuations) and no longer require a $50 United Club initiation fee. The new rates match the price of a standard Admirals Club membership, which was recently increased as well.
Here’s how that compares to the current membership rates:
A United spokesperson has confirmed to TPG that United Premier members with Platinum status or higher will continue to receive discounts toward their memberships. That means $50 off for Platinum members and $100 off for 1K members. Previously, the spousal benefit was the waiving of the spouse’s $50 initiation fee, but that fee has been removed altogether now. Day passes will continue to cost $59 apiece.
As disappointing as the increase in membership rates are, fortunately, there are several ways to gain access to United Clubs without purchasing a membership from the airline. The United Club Infinite Card entitles cardholders to a United Club membership, along with access for two adult companions or one adult and dependent children under the age of 21. The membership also includes access to affiliated Star Alliance member lounges around the world. The card has a $525 annual fee.
If you’re not that frequent of a United flyer, it could make more sense to pick up the United Explorer Card. The card has a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year and comes with two United Club one-time passes each year, among many other perks, such as a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit.
As a reminder, following similar moves by Delta and American, beginning Nov, 1, 2019, United Club members and one-time pass holders will only be able to access the airline’s lounges when traveling on a same-day United, Star Alliance or partner flight.
Featured image by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees