United won’t be flying to Cape Town as early as expected this year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cape Town is one of my favorite destinations in the world. Many travelers remain hesitant to visit South Africa at the moment, however — while the delta variant is currently wreaking havoc among unvaccinated populations, the beta variant had widely been referred to as the “South African variant” after it was initially detected within the country, leading other countries to add South Africa to their “red lists,” where in many cases it still remains. The country is also seeing a big uptick in confirmed COVID-19 cases, given that less than 4% of the population is fully vaccinated.
I recently traveled to South Africa myself, on United’s inaugural flight from Newark (EWR) to Johannesburg (JNB). I’m fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine, and with the extra precautions I took while visiting the country and on the flight home, I felt comfortable venturing out on a solo outdoor-focused tour.
I didn’t encounter many international tourists on the ground, though, and it seems United Airlines isn’t expecting demand to recover anytime soon. As a result, the return of United’s seasonal flight between Newark and Cape Town (CPT) has been pushed back by several weeks, and the carrier is scaling back its Newark-Johannesburg service as well.
United’s Cape Town flight was originally expected to return in October. Now, it’s scheduled to resume on Dec. 1 — the beginning of South Africa’s summer — and will operate three days per week through March 25, 2022.
Newark-Johannesburg, meanwhile, has been flying daily since it launched in June. As of now, it’ll move to five days a week after Sept. 7, with daily service expected to return on Dec. 1. From September through November, it’ll fly from Newark every day but Monday and Wednesday — factoring in the date change en-route, it won’t fly from Johannesburg on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
If you’ve already booked your flight and you’ve been impacted by the delayed Cape Town launch, I recommend calling United reservations and asking an agent to rebook you on a connecting trip through Johannesburg, instead. If your flight has been canceled, you’re also entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment, if you prefer.
Meanwhile, if your Newark-Johannesburg flight has been canceled, you shouldn’t have any problem moving to the same flight a day before or after — just give United reservations a call at 800-864-8331 to get rebooked.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees