United Airlines unveils first 15 destinations for new two-class CRJ550
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will begin flying its the Bombardier CRJ550, a 50-seat regional jet with a first class cabin, to 15 cities from Chicago at the end of October.
The aircraft, which is a re-certified version of the Bombardier CRJ700 airframe, will first fly to Harrisburg (MDT) in Pennsylvania from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) on Oct. 27, the Star Alliance carrier said Thursday evening. United will also begin flying it to 14 more cities from its Chicago hub:
- Allentown (ABE)
- Cedar Rapids (CID)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Des Moines (DSM)
- Grand Rapids (GRR)
- Greensboro (GSO)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Madison (MSN)
- Northwest Arkansas (XNA)
- Oklahoma City (OKC)
- Richmond (RIC)
- St. Louis (STL)
- Tulsa (TUL)
Tickets for CRJ550 flights will go on sale Saturday, Oct. 12, said United.
The CRJ550 will feature 10 first class seats, 20 Economy Plus extra-legroom seats, and 20 economy seats. In addition, it will sport several closets so passengers do not have to gate check carry-on bags, and a snack bar.
— Nicolás Pombo (@Nicolas_Pombo) October 8, 2019
Following the jet’s debut in Chicago, United plans to begin flying it from its Newark Liberty (EWR) and — in a new addition bound to excite Washington DC-based travelers — Washington Dulles (IAD) hubs by early next year.
The Star Alliance carrier is expanding its Dulles hub with new domestic spokes. It will add Akron/Canton (CAK), Philadelphia (PHL) and West Palm Beach (PBI) to its roster of destinations from the airport next year.
United hopes the CRJ550 will help it capture a larger share of premium international travelers bound for small and mid-size cities in the U.S. Executives have frequently cited the example of Northwest Arkansas, home to retail giant Walmart’s headquarters, where they said the airline carries a lower percentage of business travelers than competitors due to a lack of premium seating options on flights into XNA.
Executives at United have also said that they have to fly all-economy jets to small markets because of limits in the carrier’s pilots contract. That contract caps the number of large regional jets, ones that typically have a first class cabin and seat up to 76 passengers, at 255 aircraft, while both American Airlines and Delta Air Lines can fly more than 300 of these aircraft.
United aims to have all 54 CRJ550s in service by next June.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees