United’s new two-class CRJ550: ‘The customer is going to love it’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is on schedule to introduce the Bombardier CRJ550 this fall, the industry’s first 50-seat jet with both first- and economy class cabins, executives say.
Retrofits to several Bombardier CRJ700 airframes — the CRJ550 is a modified CRJ700 aircraft — are complete with work on another 10 to 12 aircraft now underway, Trans States CEO Rick Leach told TPG at the Regional Airlines Association (RAA) annual convention in Nashville Thursday. Trans States-owned GoJet Airlines will fly the aircraft for United.
Concurrently, Bombardier and Trans States are in the final stages of certifying the CRJ500, he added.
United has signed up GoJet to fly 54 CRJ550s from its Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Newark Liberty (EWR) hubs. The aircraft will feature 10 first class seats, 20 extra-legroom Economy Plus seats and 20 economy seats. In addition, they will have several closets aimed at eliminating the need for passengers to check bags at the gate, and a snack bar.
“The customer is going to love it,” said Leach on the onboard product.
“It’s almost uncomfortable there’s so much space on the aircraft,” United vice-president of domestic network planning Ankit Gupta said about the CRJ550 at RAA on Friday. The carrier remains on track to introduce the aircraft “sometime in the fall,” he added.
The first CRJ550 was spotted undergoing testing at Chicago O’Hare in August. While neither United nor Trans States provided official photos, several pictures ended up on Twitter.
— FS Videos & Photos✈️ (@FSA_2013) August 8, 2019
Gupta said United will initially fly the CRJ550 from Chicago to medium-sized cities including Cincinnati (CVG), Columbus (CMH), Madison (MSN) in Wisconsin, Northwest Arkansas airport (XNA) near Wal Mart’s headquarters, and St. Louis (STL). Previously, United had only disclosed plans to fly the plane to Northwest Arkansas.
United will bring the CRJ550 to its Newark hub at a later date, he added.
The dual-class 50-seat jet is likely to stick around in United’s regional fleet for some time. The airline is hamstrung by its contract with pilots that places stricter limits on the number of large regional jets — like Bombardier CRJ900s and Embraer 175s — in its feeder fleet than similar agreements at American Airlines and Delta Air Lines.
United is in negotiations with pilots over a new contract, but few expect any change to the limits on regional aircraft known as “scope.”
“The CRJ550 has allowed [United] some breathing room in addressing the regional market without scope relief,” said Savanthi Syth, an analyst at Raymond James, on the topic at RAA on Friday.
Featured image by Eric Salard / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees