United Airlines has saved 40,000 connections by holding flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines recently introduced a new “ConnectionSaver” tool that allows agents to hold flights at the gate if it means saving the connections of several passenger.
Now, less than three months after rolling out ConnectionSaver — and just weeks after expanding it to all of its domestic hubs — the product is receiving “tremendous” positive feedback from passengers, Ankit Gupta, United’s vice-president of domestic network planning, said last week at the Regional Airlines Association (RAA) annual convention in Nashville.
“If you can wait three minutes and save 10 passengers’ [connections], you want to wait three minutes on the gate,” he said Friday (Sept. 6). “We saw such a great success that we have rolled it out across the board.”
To date, United has saved the connections of roughly 40,000 passengers with an average departure delay of only four minutes, said Gupta.
The idea behind ConnectionSaver is that if a flight can leave late but arrive on time — something that is often possible with schedules padded on routes at many of the busiest airports — the flight can wait four minutes at the gate in order to allow connecting travelers to make the flight.
When passengers misconnect, airlines must rebook them on already crowded flights — Delta Air Lines flights were more than 90% full in July and August — and in some cases pay for food and accommodations if the delay is overnight.
Gupta said United plans to roll out more technological innovations like ConnectionSaver that benefit passengers in the coming years.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees