United will potentially buy up to 100 small electric planes in new soft order
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines and regional carrier Mesa Airlines said on Tuesday that each will buy up to 100 electric aircraft from Swedish startup Heart Aerospace.
The agreement — which is not a firm order — came as part of an investment by United’s venture capital subsidiary, United Airlines Ventures (UAV), in the Swedish planemaker. Breakthrough Energy Ventures, the alternative energy-focused VC fund founded by Bill Gates, also invested in Heart as part of the deal announced Tuesday.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Whether the orders for Heart’s 19-seat ES-19 aircraft are ever actually delivered is far from certain. United said that the aircraft must “meet United’s safety, business and operating requirements” before any sale is finalized, and added that Mesa had implemented similar terms.
The ES-19 has a potential range of 250 miles, which, along with the small size, limits the potential ways that a larger airline or regional carrier like Mesa could use the planes. Mesa operates flights for United and American Airlines under the United Express and American Eagle brands, respectively.
Heart is targeting an ambitious 2026 debut for the plane, although it is not clear whether that target can be reached given stringent certification requirements for the new aircraft type.
“We recognize that customers want even more ownership of their own carbon emissions footprint” Michael Leskinen, a vice president at United who heads the UAV subsidiary, said in a press release. “We’re proud to partner with Mesa Air Group to bring electric aircraft to our customers earlier than any other US airliner.”
The deal was the latest of several similar announcements from United, which has made several high-profile investments in aviation startups, mostly skewing towards companies investing in alternative forms of fuel. In February, the airline announced a partnership with eVTOL startup Archer Aviation — the company unveiled its flying taxi design last month — and in June, United said it had invested in Boom Supersonic, which aims to design a cost-effective supersonic passenger jet that uses so-called sustainable aviation fuels (SAFs).
Rival airlines American and Virgin Atlantic have also announced investments in eVTOL startups, though it’s unclear exactly what timeline might prove realistic for bringing such products to market.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees