United Airlines prunes Dayton service with Houston axe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is pruning its operation in Dayton, Ohio, in 2020, adding Houston to the list of routes it will drop from the Ohio city in the new year.
The Star Alliance carrier will end service between Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Dayton, Ohio (DAY) on March 26, according to Cirium schedules. The axe comes two months after United ends flights between Newark Liberty (EWR) and Dayton in January.
United offered daily service with a 50-seat Embraer ERJ-145 on the Houston-Dayton route, schedules show.
The Chicago-based carrier has previously told TPG that it continuously reviews its network, making changes based on each individual route’s performance. Dayton appears to be a weak performer with the multiple route cuts.
United will continue to serve the Ohio city from its Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Denver (DEN), and Washington Dulles (IAD) hubs, according to Cirium.
In addition, the airline will also not resume service between Houston and Columbia, South Carolina (CAE) on March 5 as previously planned, the schedules show. Daily service with 50-seat regional jets is now scheduled to return on Oct. 1, though schedules that far out are subject to change.
Even with the reductions to Columbia and Dayton, United plans to grow capacity by 4-6% year-over-year in 2020. The elevated rate of growth is part of an effort by the airline to regain what executives see as its “natural share” of the U.S. market.
United will add service to Dodge City, Kansas (DDC) from Denver, and Decatur, Illinois (DEC) from Chicago O’Hare under the federal government’s Essential Air Service subsidy program early in the new year, Cirium schedules show. The airline’s regional partner, SkyWest Airlines, will serve both cities with 12 flights a week on 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft.
Other planned network additions in 2020 include more domestic flights on Boeing 777 widebody jets, a new shuttle-like service between Newark and Washington Reagan National (DCA), and new or resumed service from its Dulles hub and five cities in its network.
United was not immediately available to comment on the Columbia and Dayton reductions.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees