United trims 2 non-hub routes at former Cleveland hub
United Airlines is pruning non-hub route offerings in Cleveland this spring, dropping nonstops to New York LaGuardia and Washington Reagan National in favor of expanding service elsewhere from the slot-controlled airports.
Once a hub that United inherited from Continental Airlines, the Star Alliance carrier will end flights between Cleveland (CLE) and LaGuardia (LGA) and National (DCA) on March 29, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin told TPG. United offers up to five flights a day on the New York route, and up to four flights on the Washington route.
Ending the two Cleveland routes will allow United introduce a new hourly shuttle schedule to Newark (EWR) at Washington National. Guerin said the airline is still evaluating how to redeploy the slots at LaGuardia.
Travelers will still have options to fly between Cleveland and both LaGuardia and Washington National. American Airlines flies both routes, and Delta Air Lines flies the former, according to Cirium schedule data.
The news is not all bad for Cleveland. United will shift flights between the Ohio city and its Newark Liberty (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD) hubs to larger aircraft that will ensure there is no decrease in seats offered. That move will lead to an increase in premium seats, Guerin said. The airline will also expand its service between Cleveland and the Florida cities of Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Fort Myers (RSW), and Tampa (TPA) this spring
All of the Cleveland schedule changes will be loaded over the weekend, he added.
United closed its Cleveland hub in June 2014. At the time, then CEO Jeff Smisek said the “demand for hub-level connecting flying through Cleveland simply isn’t there.”
Continental established a hub in Cleveland in 1988.
United plans to grow system capacity by 4-6% this year, executives have said. The carrier plans a number of additions to its schedule including roughly 50 more departures at its Denver (DEN) hub, four new routes to Tokyo’s close-to-downtown Haneda airport (HND), and at least five new routes from its Dulles hub.
The airline grew seats in Cleveland by 3.6% year-over-year in 2019, according to Cirium.
Featured image by Maxian / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees