United Airlines adds more Embraer E175s as Bombardier CRJ550 fleet expands
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Express partner Mesa Airlines will operate the 20 E175s, which will be delivered in a 70-seat layout, the Phoenix-based regional carrier said Tuesday. Deliveries will occur from May through the end of next year.
The E175s will one-for-one replace 20 older Bombardier CRJ700 regional jets operated by Mesa. Those jets will be sub-leased to “another United Express carrier,” which Raymond James analysts said Tuesday is understood to be GoJet Airlines. The analysts expect the CRJ700s to be converted to CRJ550s that in a 50-seat layout with 10 first-class seats that TPG’s Zach Griff has described as “the most comfortable regional jet in America.”
United introduced the CRJ550 in October. Debuted on flights from the airline’s Chicago O’Hare (ORD) hub, the jets are part of an effort to retain high-revenue premium travelers while keeping its regional fleet in compliance with restrictions in its contract with pilots.
United’s pilots contract limits it to 255 larger regional jets, or those outfitted with 70-76 seats and first-class cabins. Executives often say that the airline is at a competitive disadvantage due to this restriction as the contracts at its competitors American Airlines and Delta Air Lines allow them to fly up to roughly 325 of the jets.
Those larger jets, including E175s, are more popular with passengers than 50-seat models due to their typically larger cabins, amenities like inflight Wi-Fi, and the fact that most bags can be carried onboard.
The CRJ550 is a workaround to these contractual limits on large regional jets at United. The planes will begin flying from its Newark Liberty (EWR) hub in February, and Washington Dulles (IAD) in March, according to Cirium schedules. United also plans to use the jets on the shuttle-like service between Newark and Washington National (DCA) that it plans to launch next spring.
United anticipates 54 CRJ550s in its regional fleet by the end of next year.
With the latest deal, Mesa will exclusively operate E175s for United with a fleet of 80 aircraft expected by end-2020.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.