United Airlines Will Introduce More 50-Seat Jets With First Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines has increased its commitments for the new Bombardier CRJ550, the new 50-seat regional jet with first-class seats that it plans to introduce before the end of the year.
The Chicago-based carrier will add 54 of the aircraft, which are re-certified Bombardier CRJ700 airframes, through 2020, United disclosed in a second-quarter financial filing. It previously planned to add 50 CRJ550s.
The CRJ550 will be outfitted with 10 first class seats —a first for a 50-seat regional jet in the feeder fleets of the US mainline carriers — 20 Economy Plus seats and 20 economy seats. In addition, they will feature large closets designed to eliminate the need for passengers to gate check bags.
United plans to introduce the CRJ550 later this year at its Chicago O’Hare (ORD) hub on flights to Bentonville, Arkansas (XNA), where Walmart, the largest company in the world by revenue, is headquartered. The plane will then serve more routes to smaller communities from both Chicago and Newark (EWR).
Airline executives say the aircraft, first announced in February, will help United address its competitive disadvantage in smaller markets. Its contract with pilots limits it to no more than 255 large regional jets that feature first-class cabins, while American Airlines and Delta Air Lines can both operate more of the larger models.
The CRJ550 will allow United to introduce first class to these smaller markets while remaining in compliance with its pilots’ contract.
“Getting our structural disadvantage in smaller communities fixed is a priority,” said Andrew Nocella, chief commercial officer of United, during a second-quarter earnings call on July 17. “We’re excited to see the 550 into service and what it’s going do to us.”
In addition to making United more competitive in smaller markets, the CRJ550 will also create new upgrade opportunities for frequent travelers. The airline plans to use them where it currently flies 50-seat aircraft that feature all economy seats.
Nocella was mum on when the CRJ550 will begin flying. The initial expectation was that aircraft would be flying by the fall, however, he said on the call that the introduction will occur “later this year.”
United’s regional partner GoJet Airlines, a subsidiary of Trans States Holdings, will operate the aircraft under a 10-year agreement, the filing shows.
The CRJ550 deal has also enabled United to order more of the popular Embraer E-Jets it also flies regionally. The airline’s order for 20 E175s at the Paris air show in June will replace the CRJ700s that are being converted to 550s, Wolfe Research analyst Hunter Keay said in a recent report.
The E175s larger cabin and overhead bins make them more popular with passengers than comparably sized CRJ aircraft.
Featured image by Eric Salard / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees