United Airlines is adding 20 more dual-class Bombardier CRJ550 jets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is betting on the continued success of the Bombardier CRJ550 with a commitment for 20 more of the type by next year.
The Chicago-based carrier is adding the additional CRJ550s, its first 50-seat regional jet with a first-class cabin, to its agreement with regional affiliate GoJet Airlines, Trans States-owned GoJet said Wednesday. The additional aircraft, which will give United a fleet of 74 CRJ550s by the end of 2021, will begin arriving this summer.
The CRJ550, a re-certified variant of the Bombardier CRJ700, is outfitted with 10 seats in first class, 20 in Economy Plus and 20 in economy. The jets feature several closets that allow passengers to forgo gate-checking carry-on bags and are configured with a self-serve pantry for first-class customers.
Notably for United, the aircraft allowed it to offer first-class seats on routes where it was unable to do so with its prior regional fleet because of caps on large regional jets, typically those with 65-76 seats, under its agreement with pilots.
“Our customers are telling us they love flying the CRJ550 and we’re excited to continue growing our fleet and our long-standing relationship with GoJet,” Sarah Murphy, senior vice president of United Express at United, said in a statement.
United introduced the CRJ550 on flights between its Chicago O’Hare (ORD) base and 15 cities, including Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT), and Northwest Arkansas near Fayetteville, Arkansas (XNA), in October. The jets now fly numerous routes from the airline’s Chicago, Newark Liberty (EWR) and — beginning in March — Washington Dulles (IAD) hubs.
By adding the 50-seat jets to its feeder fleet and in turn reducing the number of CRJ700s it flies, United is able to add more Embraer 175s. The airline ordered 20 more of the E-Jets with deliveries this year in December.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees