United Airlines boosts 4 Hawaii routes, including newest flagships
Hawaii tourism is showing no signs of slowing down.
Over the weekend, United Airlines filed a notable adjustment to its Hawaii flying, boosting service on four routes networkwide through October.
To start, the Chicago-based carrier is adding more frequencies to its upcoming flagship Hawaii flights. First announced back in September, United is slated to begin flying between Newark (EWR) and Kahului/Maui (OGG), as well as Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Kona (KOA) on June 3.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The original plan was to fly both flights on a four-times-weekly basis, on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Now, United is planning five weekly flights on both routes, adding service on Mondays, per Cirium schedules and confirmed by the carrier. This additional frequency is the latest in a series of boosts for United’s upcoming flagship routes.
The original plan was to operate the flights from June 3 to Aug. 15. In late February, United gave both routes a three-week extension. The flights will now end on Sept. 5, covering most of the Labor Day holiday weekend.
Additionally, United recently upgraded the Newark to Maui flight with its swankiest jet, the “high-J” Boeing 767 that features a whopping 46 Polaris business-class pods. This plane also sports a dedicated Premium Plus cabin, and United is now selling separate premium economy fares starting at $719 in each direction.
In addition to the new flagships, two other UA Hawaii routes are getting adjusted as well. Flights from Denver (DEN) to both Honolulu (HNL) and Maui received notable boosts over the weekend, as follows.
|April 2021||OGG – from 1x daily to 8x weekly|
|May 2021||HNL – from 1x daily to 12x weekly; OGG – from 1x daily to 12x weekly|
|June 2021||HNL – up to 2x daily; OGG – from 1x daily to 2x daily|
|July 2021||HNL – remains at 2x daily; OGG – from 1x daily to 2x daily|
|August 2021||HNL – from 1x daily in previous schedule to 2x daily; OGG – from 1x daily to 2x daily|
|September 2021||HNL – from 1x daily in previous schedule to 2x daily; OGG – from 1x daily to 2x daily|
|October 2021||HNL – from 1x daily in previous schedule to 12x weekly; OGG – from 1x daily to 12x weekly|
The additional Denver to Hawaii frequencies will be flown by a Boeing 757-200, with 16 lie-flat beds arranged in a 2-2 configuration in the pointy end of the plane. Depending on the exact configuration, there’ll be between 153 and 160 coach seats.
United’s confidence in Hawaii flying is seemingly at a pandemic-era high. With an accelerated vaccine rollout, UA likely is betting that pandemic-weary travelers are gearing up for a summer of adventure. Hawaii has been open to tourists sans quarantine since late 2020, and demand to travel to the Aloha State appears to be growing.
In recent weeks, UA announced a new year-round service between Orange County, California (SNA), and Honolulu beginning on May 6.
Technically, the Orange County flight is a service resumption for the carrier. United inherited two legacy Continental routes, one from SNA to HNL and another from SNA to OGG when the carriers merged in 2010. United stopped the Maui flight in January 2012, followed by the Honolulu one six months later.
Nearly ten years later, however, there’s seemingly more confidence than ever — not just in the Orange County flights, but in all of United’s new Hawaii routes.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees