The UK to remove all countries from ‘red list’ just 16 days after it was reintroduced
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.K. will remove all 11 countries from its red list at 4 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 15.
The British government brought back its red list in November in its effort to slow down the spread of the omicron variant sweeping the globe. The impending changes will come into effect just 16 days after the red list was reintroduced.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
According to the U.K. Health Secretary Sajid Javid, the countries were due to be removed this week as the omicron variant has now spread so far that the rules no longer served its purpose of COVID-19 prevention.
Speaking to British Parliament, he said: “Now that there is community transmission of omicron in the U.K. and omicron has spread so widely across the world, the travel red list is now less effective in slowing the incursion of omicron from abroad.”
Adding: “Whilst we maintain our temporary testing measures for international travel, we will be removing all 11 countries from the travel red list effective from 4 a.m. tomorrow morning.”
The red list was reintroduced on Nov. 29 by the British government and includes Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nambia, Nigeria, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Prior to the changes on Dec. 15, any travelers arriving from red list countries face self-isolating in the U.K.’s quarantine hotels for up to 10 days at a cost of £2,285 ($3021.83). The high cost of which has been criticized throughout the pandemic.
The U.K. Health Secretary said that he was seeking advice on whether those currently in hotel quarantine would be able to leave early now that the rules had changed. He also acknowledged that he was “very persuaded” by calls to reimburse people and was hopeful of an announcement soon.
Featured image by Hollie Adams/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees