Once-dormant airline to launch nonstop flights from Uganda
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uganda’s flag carrier is set to return to long-haul flying. Uganda Airlines is reportedly planning to launch flights from its base at Entebbe, Uganda (EBB) to London Heathrow (LHR) later this month.
Interestingly, the airline will use one of its Airbus A330-800 aircraft in order to operate the route, which is set to launch on March 28, with five weekly frequencies.
The young, reborn airline, which first recommenced service in August 2019, will operate the 4,029-mile journey after having secured rights to operate the service, as reported by ChimpReports. The flight will arrive in London at 6:45 a.m. before departing on the return journey back to Entebbe at 9 a.m.
On the route, Uganda Airlines will see little competition, as no other airline offers nonstop service to Entebbe. Flights on the route aren’t yet on sale. And, when they are, don’t expect to be able to redeem miles, as the airline isn’t part of any alliance and doesn’t have major partners.
In December 2020, Uganda Airlines took delivery of its first A330-800 aircraft. Inside, the aircraft features a three-cabin configuration: 20 lie-flat business-class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 28 premium economy seats and 210 economy seats for a total capacity of 258 seats. It took delivery of its second — and final — A330-800 on order in February 2021.
It appears as though Uganda Airlines also plans to use its A338 on service to Dubai (DXB), Guangzhou (CAN) and Mumbai (BOM).
“The shareholders look forward to the continued growth of Uganda Airlines’ passenger and cargo portfolio with the start of long-haul flights to Dubai, London, Guangzhou, and Mumbai, upon conclusion of the ongoing A330neo operations certification process; and further expansion of the African network to include Johannesburg, Lusaka, Harare, Khartoum, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Accra, Goma, Lubumbashi and more; as well as interline and codeshare partnerships for seamless global operations,” the airline said on its Twitter.
The move by Uganda Airlines to order two A330-800s was an interesting choice for the carrier. The A330-800 is one of the least-ordered aircraft — in fact, only Uganda Airlines and Kuwait Airways have taken delivery of the aircraft.
According to Airbus’ order sheet, there are only 14 A330-800s on order. Airbus had more A330-800 orders on the books, but a number of airlines have switched to larger versions of the A330neo family, such as the -900.
Prior to its revival in 2019, Uganda Airlines had been dormant since 2001. In addition to the two A330 aircraft in its fleet, the carrier also has a total of four Bombardier CRJ-900 aircraft that operate domestic and shorter-haul routes.
Uganda Airlines couldn’t be reached for comment.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees