No Phone Needed: Uber Is Testing Rider Kiosks at Toronto Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Arriving passengers traveling through Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) now have the option to request an Uber ride without the need for a smartphone or personal device. This past week, a developer at Uber shared images via Twitter that show new rider kiosks at the airport.
Previously, to request a ride, users were required to do so via the Uber app on their smartphones. While extremely convenient in most cases, Uber is essentially unavailable to users who aren’t able to access their device or are without cellular/Wi-Fi data. Now, Uber is working to address the limitations of its app-based business model by testing kiosks from which a customer can request a ride without the need for a personal device.
Two of Uber’s new rider kiosks have been installed at Toronto Pearson International Airport. According to one of the project’s developers, the kiosks serve two purposes: to inform and assist riders that already have access to an account via a personal device, and the ability to request a ride without the need for a personal device.
Existing Uber riders with access to their account from a personal device can use the kiosks to find out more information about their ride, including the location of ride-share pickup zones at the airport. Uber already operates a mini-lounge for riders at New York-LaGuardia Airport that offers a similar service to riders.
The most significant feature of Uber’s new airport kiosks is the ability to request a ride without the need for a personal device. This is great news for travelers who are unable to access their personal device or mobile network. Additionally, travelers without an Uber account are able to request a ride from the kiosks by providing simple contact details and basic info including their name, a phone number, and their destination. Payments are also handled at the kiosks.
The Uber ride kiosks are only available at Toronto Pearson International Airport at the moment. The kiosks are located in Terminal 3 near international arrivals. This isn’t the first test program Uber’s conducted at Toronto Pearson International Airport. Last year Uber tested the option to have UberEATS delivered directly to passenger gates at the airport.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Jon Kantrowitz (@jkantro) via Twitter
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees