Uber Launches Mini-Lounge at LaGuardia Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers traveling through New York-LaGuardia’s Terminal B might notice something new and unusual as they make their way through the departures level. Popular ridesharing service Uber recently launched a mini-lounge meant to make the ridesharing process a little less painful.
The lounge will serve as a waiting area for arriving passengers as they hail and wait terminal-side for their Uber. Though it’s not much, Uber’s mini-lounge could greatly reduce the stress of ridesharing at LGA.
New York-LaGuardia is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar improvement project, which includes a new central terminal, a new Terminal B and new concourses. If you’ve traveled through LaGuardia recently, you’re no stranger to the chaos that ensues during peak arrival and departure times at the airport. Much of the roadways surrounding the airport’s terminals, especially the roads around Terminal B, have been shut down, rerouted, or limited to a lane or two. While eventually these road closures will give way to a modern terminal, construction has been an absolute nightmare for travelers. Ridesharing and ground transportation services at the airport have not been spared from the chaos.
The Uber Rider Center at New York-LaGuardia
The current state of ground transportation services at LaGuardia, and ridesharing in particular, is actually one of the more convenient setups the airport has offered since the construction process began. At one point, passengers arriving at Terminal B were forced to take a shuttle to a remote location to hail their rideshare. It was not a pleasant experience. However, with frequent and crippling traffic jams still plaguing LaGuardia, ridesharing is a mess.
To take the edge off, Uber recently unveiled a modest yet practical ridesharing lounge at which arriving passengers can stop and wait for their Uber. The official name for this pseudo-lounge is the Uber Rider Center. While the term lounge is a bit of a stretch, the Rider Center does offer a few amenities, such as power outlets and Uber representatives available at a rider’s disposal.
These Uber representatives can help you call, modify or cancel a trip. The Uber representatives will be able to direct riders to the rideshare pick-up area at the airport and assist riders with selecting the correct destination.
Uber’s decision to include power outlets was also a smart move. One of the most stressful scenarios the modern traveler can find themselves in is a phone hovering around 4% battery life upon arrival in a new city. Now, if you find yourself in this situation at New York-LaGuardia, you will have access to a power outlet in the Uber Ride Center.
If you’re a frequent Uber rider at New York-LaGuardia, you can find the Uber Ride Center in Terminal B on the departures level near the D gates. The Ride Center will remain at the airport until the current Terminal B closes its doors to make way for the new Terminal B.
While many riders will likely appreciate a space like the Uber Rider Center, Uber says that it does not have any plans at the moment to expand the program.
Featured image by Pau Barrena/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.