This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The feature, first announced in April, dials 911 on behalf of passengers who feel threatened during an Uber ride. The emergency button can be found under the “safety center” menu located on the home screen of the app. The call will go through once passengers tap on “911 assistance,” and confirm their intent to dial 911. For users in Denver, Charleston, Nashville, Chattanooga and Naples, Florida, the new app update will also share their location and trip details directly with the 911 dispatcher. This functionality is designed to help improve location accuracy for dispatchers to pinpoint the source of the distress call.
If all goes well, the feature will soon be available for drivers as well, who can just as easily feel threatened by difficult riders.
Uber continues to push updates and revisions in hopes of shaking the notoriously unsafe reputation that dogs the company for various reasons, including the self-driving car that killed a pedestrian, as well as a continued stream of sexual assault and harassment accusations.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees