This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The feature, first announced in April, dials 911 on behalf of passengers who feel threatened during an Uber ride. The emergency button can be found under the “safety center” menu located on the home screen of the app. The call will go through once passengers tap on “911 assistance,” and confirm their intent to dial 911. For users in Denver, Charleston, Nashville, Chattanooga and Naples, Florida, the new app update will also share their location and trip details directly with the 911 dispatcher. This functionality is designed to help improve location accuracy for dispatchers to pinpoint the source of the distress call.
If all goes well, the feature will soon be available for drivers as well, who can just as easily feel threatened by difficult riders.
Uber continues to push updates and revisions in hopes of shaking the notoriously unsafe reputation that dogs the company for various reasons, including the self-driving car that killed a pedestrian, as well as a continued stream of sexual assault and harassment accusations.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees