2 More Flights Were Quarantined for Sick Passengers — This Time at PHL
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two more international flights landing in the US were quarantined after several passengers exhibited flu-like symptoms on board.
The two incidents, which happened Thursday afternoon at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), follow a similar situation that unfolded Wednesday at New York’s Kennedy airport (JFK) after an incoming Emirates flight from Dubai (DXB) was quarantined on the tarmac and met by Centers for Disease Control officials after 11 passengers contracted symptoms, including fevers, coughing and vomiting.
At least 12 passengers fell ill on two separate inbound flights: one from Paris (American Airlines 755) and one from Munich (American Airlines 1317). “As a precaution, all passengers on the two flights – totaling about 250 plus crew – were held for a medical review and the CDC was notified,” airport officials said in a statement. “CDC, the Philadelphia Health Department and the Philadelphia Fire Department personnel performed medical evaluations and assessments,” the statement continued.
All other healthy passengers, except for the 12 sick flyers, were in the process of being released by late Thursday afternoon. It isn’t clear if the sick passengers were taken to a hospital via ambulance, as the ill JFK passengers were.
It also remains unclear if the two situations are somehow linked. Officials said that nothing more than an outbreak of the flu and the common cold were to blame for the situation on the Emirates flight at JFK on Wednesday.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.