2 More Flights Were Quarantined for Sick Passengers — This Time at PHL
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two more international flights landing in the US were quarantined after several passengers exhibited flu-like symptoms on board.
The two incidents, which happened Thursday afternoon at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), follow a similar situation that unfolded Wednesday at New York’s Kennedy airport (JFK) after an incoming Emirates flight from Dubai (DXB) was quarantined on the tarmac and met by Centers for Disease Control officials after 11 passengers contracted symptoms, including fevers, coughing and vomiting.
At least 12 passengers fell ill on two separate inbound flights: one from Paris (American Airlines 755) and one from Munich (American Airlines 1317). “As a precaution, all passengers on the two flights – totaling about 250 plus crew – were held for a medical review and the CDC was notified,” airport officials said in a statement. “CDC, the Philadelphia Health Department and the Philadelphia Fire Department personnel performed medical evaluations and assessments,” the statement continued.
All other healthy passengers, except for the 12 sick flyers, were in the process of being released by late Thursday afternoon. It isn’t clear if the sick passengers were taken to a hospital via ambulance, as the ill JFK passengers were.
It also remains unclear if the two situations are somehow linked. Officials said that nothing more than an outbreak of the flu and the common cold were to blame for the situation on the Emirates flight at JFK on Wednesday.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees