The TWA Hotel’s Food Court Was Shut Down Over Health Violations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a first few days marred by teething problems, the newly-opened TWA Hotel at New York’s JFK airport has just encountered another issue. The hotel’s food court, inspired by New York’s street-food vendors, was recently ordered to shut down after the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene discovered numerous violations related to food prep and storage.
After a two-day closure, the food court reopened on Friday, the Queens Patch reported.
According to the Department, the food court racked up five violations including storing hot food at below 140 degrees, serving food from unknown or unapproved sources, a lack of facilities to wash or sanitize equipment and utensils, a lack of protection for food storage, and improperly constructed surfaces. That resulted in 73 violation points in a recent inspection, as the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene site showed on Saturday. (Lower scores are better; above 28 points, the department shutters an establishment.)The food court is located in the Hughes Wing of the TWA Hotel, to the left in the image below, shot overlooking the entrance. Listed on the hotel’s website as “Departures Hall Dining”, the food court is located on the side of the historic terminal opposite of the front desk. It serves fare from local New York City restaurants and vendors.
Notable tenants at the food court include The Halal Guys, Empanada Republic, Antico Noé, and Fresh & Co.
The TWA Hotel was one of the most anticipated new hotel openings of 2019. It officially opened on May 15th, and while the soft open clearly showed that several aspects of the hotel were not ready, the hotel currently holds a 4.3 out of 5 on Google Reviews and 3 out of 5 stars on TripAdvisor — indicating generally favorable reviews.
For more on the TWA Hotel, read our account of the hotel’s first night of operations and check out a video tour of the hotel, which promises to become a major attraction for aviation enthusiasts once its initial problems are fixed.
Featured image by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees