Vaccination rates rise at TSA and CBP ahead of holiday season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After all that worry about Transportation Security Administration screeners, Customs and Border Protection officers and vaccine mandates, it looks like most are getting their shots after all.
The Department of Homeland Security on Monday posted a detailed update on its compliance with the Biden administration’s vaccination executive order, and all of its agencies boast a greater than 90% compliance.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The TSA’s compliance rate is 93%. Of that 93%, 86% of TSA employees are fully vaccinated, while 7% requested reasonable accommodations for religious, medical or other reasons.
CBP’s compliance rate is 98%, with 87% of CBP employees fully vaccinated and 11% requesting reasonable accommodations.
Agency-wide, DHS boasts a 96% compliance rate, with 89% of employees fully vaccinated and 7% requesting reasonable accommodations.
The vaccination mandate had a Nov. 22 deadline, which was days before Thanksgiving. That date had some concerned about TSA’s ability to meet the Thanksgiving travel rush. While the rush materialized — eight of the 10 days during the TSA’s holiday period saw over 2 million people go through checkpoints — those staffing fears did not.
“The employee vaccine mandate will not impact holiday travel,” agency spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said on Nov. 22.
Lines at federal inspection stations, where CBP performs its border control activities, have likewise been longer since Nov. 8, when the U.S. removed its travel restrictions. (Travel restrictions on eight African nations were later imposed due to Omicron variant fears.)
As of Dec. 6, TSA currently has 320 employees with active COVID infections. During the pandemic, 11,406 of TSA’s federal employees have tested positive, 11,086 have recovered and 33 have died. TSA employs nearly 60,000 people.
CBP has seen 12,359 federal employees with positive COVID cases during the pandemic, while 55 have died. CBP employs nearly 64,000 people.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees