An Easy and Free Trick to Reduce Your Flying Footprint
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to the negative impact flying has on the environment, carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions is the most obvious target. And it is significant — TPG‘s Katie Genter flew 179,063 miles in 2017, leaving behind a 21.488-ton carbon footprint.
Some airlines make it easy to compensate for that impact with a carbon offset program at reasonable rates — a round-trip transcon shouldn’t run you more than 10 bucks — but there are other things you can do to help the environment, too.
Jason DiVenere, United Global Services member and friend of the world’s most frequent flyer, Tom Stuker, shared his own strategy for helping minimize waste. As he explains above, Jason collects all of the plastic consumed during his flight — amenity kit and blanket wrappers, the headphone bag, etc. — and brings it all to his dry cleaner back home, where there’s a bin for recycling this type of plastic.
Some airlines make an extra effort to recycle as well, but there’s no guarantee all of that waste won’t end up in a landfill, especially when flights land at an airport outside of the United States, where local laws may require that all materials be thrown away. With Jason’s advice, though, you can take the process of recycling plastic bags and wrappers into your own hands.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees