An Easy and Free Trick to Reduce Your Flying Footprint
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to the negative impact flying has on the environment, carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions is the most obvious target. And it is significant — TPG‘s Katie Genter flew 179,063 miles in 2017, leaving behind a 21.488-ton carbon footprint.
Some airlines make it easy to compensate for that impact with a carbon offset program at reasonable rates — a round-trip transcon shouldn’t run you more than 10 bucks — but there are other things you can do to help the environment, too.
Jason DiVenere, United Global Services member and friend of the world’s most frequent flyer, Tom Stuker, shared his own strategy for helping minimize waste. As he explains above, Jason collects all of the plastic consumed during his flight — amenity kit and blanket wrappers, the headphone bag, etc. — and brings it all to his dry cleaner back home, where there’s a bin for recycling this type of plastic.
Some airlines make an extra effort to recycle as well, but there’s no guarantee all of that waste won’t end up in a landfill, especially when flights land at an airport outside of the United States, where local laws may require that all materials be thrown away. With Jason’s advice, though, you can take the process of recycling plastic bags and wrappers into your own hands.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees