This Family Has Been on the Last 30 Inaugural Southwest Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
March 17, 2019 will be remembered as the day Southwest Airlines finally launched flights to Hawaii. Flight WN6808 departed Oakland at 11:26am and landed in Honolulu at 2:09pm. The flight was complete with hula dancing, Mai Tais and plenty of cheering. As special as it was for everyone on board, it was even more special for the Klan family; they’ve been on the past 30 inaugural Southwest flights.
We got to sit down with the Klan family during the flight, and they actually have a pretty funny story as to how they ended up as some of Southwest’s most loyal flyers.
Tim Klan used to be “scared to death of flying” until after he married Holly. He flew Southwest because the airline flew the biggest planes in the Erie, PA, area where the family was based. In fact, Tim said that one time he drove seven hours to Chicago Midway (MDW) just to take a Southwest nonstop flight instead of a connecting flight on another airline. That’s dedication!
Not long after that, the Klans got “addicted to travel” (we can relate!), and someone asked them if they had been on an inaugural flight — they’re one big party, after all. After the Klans’ first inaugural, they were hooked — and after our experience on board the flight today, we can see why.
As for the Klans’ advice for Southwest flyers? They highly recommend Early Bird check-in, especially if you don’t have elite status. They’ve been the last people on the plane before, but now they know the ins and outs of the airline. They even had the best seats in the house for our flight: Row 1, with plenty of legroom. Better yet, they used their Companion Pass for their son, Mark. This is definitely a win in our book.
The Klans will be on the inaugural Southwest flight from Oakland (OAK) to Maui (OGG) on April 7, so be sure to say hi!
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.