These Luxury Sleep Pods Are Coming to Airports Around the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Futuristic devices have been popping up at airports around the world recently to help travelers catch some decent relaxation before take-off. A European aerospace company, AirPod, is designing a private capsule unit to be installed in public places such as airports, train stations and shopping centers to provide people with a private resting space.
Equipped with Wi-Fi, Netflix and Amazon Fire TV, as well as air conditioning, power outlets, a working desk, alarm clock, flight status, noise reduction technology and privacy glass, these sleek pods are designed to give users a luxury place to relax while waiting for their next flight.
The AirPods certainly sound like a more lavish option for passengers killing time in the airport than the 7-foot glass boxes that New York’s LaGuardia Airport rolled out earlier this year as a private space for flyers without lounge access. The privacy booths are about as big as a bathroom stall and cost $30 to rent out.
The AirPods will take three types of payment: credit card, debit card, and a token system customers can purchase via the company’s website. Customers can rent a pod for about $18 per hour (depending on the airport) and can get a 10% discount for paying through the company’s token system.
The luxury sleeper pods are expected to be released in the fall of 2018 in 284 airports across the globe. The first ones will be installed in Europe.
Feature image courtesy of Airpod.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees